The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Pizza and fries today :hungry:

Beans on toast for me. I bought a couple of tins of Aldi Essential beans at 28p to see what they were like, and the answer is, surprisingly good. Quite a lot of sauce though so I usually pour some off as I don’t like my toast too soggy :laugh:

Watched an interesting (but at times rather bleak) film the other day of someone (played by Timothy Spall) travelling John O’Groats to Lands End by local buses, in fact using his ‘older persons bus pass’. Made me curious about bus passes in England. Having googled it I am most surprised to discover that Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, and London all share a qualifying age of 60 but in the rest of England it’s the state pension age :ohmy:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Watched an interesting (but at times rather bleak) film the other day of someone (played by Timothy Spall) travelling John O’Groats to Lands End by local buses, in fact using his ‘older persons bus pass’. Made me curious about bus passes in England. Having googled it I am most surprised to discover that Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, and London all share a qualifying age of 60 but in the rest of England it’s the state pension age :ohmy:

Yes, heavily regionalised.

Londoners get tube & train free too AFAIK.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Also, I believe you can only use your Scottish one in Scotland, and presumably the same elsewhere. Still, it’s better than nothing. We don’t get many perks these days. In saying that, I will have had my bus pass for 5 years on Sunday and have yet to use it.

Also, I believe you can only use your Scottish one in Scotland, and presumably the same elsewhere. Still, it’s better than nothing. We don’t get many perks these days. In saying that, I will have had my bus pass for 5 years on Sunday and have yet to use it.

Yes in the film he got caught out by that, trying to use his Scottish pass in England.
I use the buses all the time here so am very much looking forward to getting them for free in a couple of months time, I reckon it will save me at least £500 a year.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Good morning in my workshop; nearly finished the Bantam - just got some wiring to sort out, gearbox oil to put in and get a new spring link for the chain. Should be ready to go then. It's been an enjoyable project. Might look out for another. :okay:

IMG_20240430_103036076_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240430_120311851.jpg

IMG_20240430_134557627_HDR.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I could make a rude comment about that but I won;t!!!!

I knew someone thought like that :laugh:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes in the film he got caught out by that, trying to use his Scottish pass in England.
I use the buses all the time here so am very much looking forward to getting them for free in a couple of months time, I reckon it will save me at least £500 a year.

When the freedom pass scheme first came out you could use an English/London pass all over Britain.
Now it's just in England.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've just got back from the dental hygienist. I hadn't been for a couple of years so it needed doing. Time was when you had a normal dental appointment the dentist would give you a scale and polish as part of the appointment.

Mine did on my last check up.

Popped out for another short wander. It’s actually warmer outside than in the house today.

And in other news, I’ve just filled out and posted the multitude of forms required to access my work pension. I haven’t stressed so much over a set of forms for a long while ! I can sit back and relax now. So long as I’ve filled them in correctly and included all the required items etc I should be getting my first payment in July. It will be strange to start getting an income again.

Top Bottom