The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been to see my wife's sister - they have some family stuff to talk about

she was not in but we had a short chat with her son (adult son - not a kid!)

apparently they are out trying to get a new cooker because the Local Authority (or whatever) has been around and they have condemned the old cooker and isolated the gas feed!
the reason - it is a standard - but good - gas cooker and has one of those glass lids that fold down on top of the hob when it is not in use

but the bit that cut the gass off when the lid is closed broke many years ago

which - I agree - is dangerous as the gas can be left on

however - they have to replace the cooker
they are not allowed to get it fixed
and they are not allowed to just remove the glass lid

for $reasons

the old one has been condemned and cannot be un-condemned

so they are having to spend several hundred pounds on a new cooker when the old one works fine - or would with the application of a screwdriver or a hammer

Drago

Legendary Member
Just tried to do the bank Xfer to my mate Ian for the aircon, app wouldn't do it. Suspicious activity.

So I rang them and had the argument. It's not fraud, know him personally, he's already done the work and it's superb, I'm not under duress...

And then I snapped.

Ex copper. Ex fraud and hitec crime investigator. Previously FCA registered as part of that.

I don't mind it per se, but it's when there is no obvious logic applied it's frustrating. Like when I tried to Xfer some money to my elderly aunt to buy her a new mobile phone, thar was blocked because it was overseas.

Who is it? My elderly Aunt.

How long you known her?

Funnily enough, 56 years...

Intelligent targeted effort is much more effective than blindly applied nonsense. Genuine customers get seriously inconvenienced while it does little to stop the fraudsters.

[RANT MODE/OFF]

Just tried to do the bank Xfer to my mate Ian for the aircon, app wouldn't do it. Suspicious activity.

So I rang them and had the argument. It's not fraud, know him personally, he's already done the work and it's superb, I'm not under duress...

And then I snapped.

Ex copper. Ex fraud and hitec crime investigator. Previously FCA registered as part of that.

I don't mind it per se, but it's when there is no obvious logic applied it's frustrating. Like when I tried to Xfer some money to my elderly aunt to buy her a new mobile phone, thar was blocked because it was overseas.

Who is it? My elderly Aunt.

How long you known her?

Funnily enough, 56 years...

Intelligent targeted effort is much more effective than blindly applied nonsense. Genuine customers get seriously inconvenienced while it does little to stop the fraudsters.

[RANT MODE/OFF]

It'll all be better when they attach AI to it!!!

screenman

Legendary Member
I am having chicken and vegetable masala with rice for dinner tonight. I have been home since the 12th of April, and despite never having cooked before, I have not had one ping meal or a takeaway since that day. I cook every day, and I am proud of myself. I know nothing to most of you, but it is an achievement for me. I even made a couple of cakes in the period. I always said I wanted to learn how to cook, but I did not want to have to learn how to cook.

Just in case most of you did not know, we have a bank holiday this weekend, which means stay indoors and do not go out on the roads.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you expecting a hot summer then?

I know not, but serious heat makes Mrs D very poorly with her MS so I'd rather be ready.

The also work in reverse as heat pump heating, so in the winter when I'm home alone during the day I can very economically heat whichever room I'm in individually.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am having chicken and vegetable masala with rice for dinner tonight. I have been home since the 12th of April, and despite never having cooked before, I have not had one ping meal or a takeaway since that day. I cook every day, and I am proud of myself. I know nothing to most of you, but it is an achievement for me. I even made a couple of cakes in the period. I always said I wanted to learn how to cook, but I did not want to have to learn how to cook.

Just in case most of you did not know, we have a bank holiday this weekend, which means stay indoors and do not go out on the roads.

There is a comedy fest in Mach this weekend, so def a weekend for staying indoors.

Chicken Korma tonight

made from natural incredients

well - they were natural at one point - until Pataks put them into a jar with some other bits

Not impressed - quite sweat and sort of dry tasting

if I was doing something for my self I would use a Pataks sausce but add extra onion and lob random spices and curry powder in it
but SWMBO doesn;t like to know there is onion in it (???) and can;t take any spicy heat at all really

next time I may try to make it properly from basic incredients

anyone know a good recipe??

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, I got another 35 mile plus walk* yesterday. Get to the PC for exact distance.
Out at 0500, back in shortly after 2200 last night.
First flasher of the year seen on a local "A" road shortly before 0600 hours. Misty and slightly damp at the time, weather wise.
*Been able to check since I posted this.
Distance walked was 38.75 miles.

Not seen the flasher since though, so don't know where she went.

screenman

Legendary Member
Chicken Korma tonight

made from natural incredients

well - they were natural at one point - until Pataks put them into a jar with some other bits

Not impressed - quite sweat and sort of dry tasting

if I was doing something for my self I would use a Pataks sausce but add extra onion and lob random spices and curry powder in it
but SWMBO doesn;t like to know there is onion in it (???) and can;t take any spicy heat at all really

next time I may try to make it properly from basic incredients

anyone know a good recipe??

Not me.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A walk in to Wimborne and popped in to Waitrose. The good news is that I had remembered the shopping list, the not so good news is that it contained items such as hacksaw blades and silicone sealant, being that I'd picked up the list for Screwfix☹️. I wandered round to jog my memory and came away with a tub of glacé cherries and three bottles of Westons Cider that was on offer.

screenman

Legendary Member
A walk in to Wimborne and popped in to Waitrose. The good news is that I had remembered the shopping list, the not so good news is that it contained items such as hacksaw blades and silicone sealant, being that I'd picked up the list for Screwfix☹️. I wandered round to jog my memory and came away with a tub of glacé cherries and three bottles of Westons Cider that was on offer.

I went to Lidl today, came out with bread, chicken, scones, salads, yoghurt and a battery powered jet washer, it works extremely well.

Top Bottom