The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD is the hoarder here. We must have 25 mugs 20 of which are never nor have ever been used. A few may find themselves in the bin (he won't notice).

I to have Waterford cut glass. I have my mum's collection. She gave them to me 5 or 6 years before she passed, I do use them though. My mum never did. She just got them out of the cupboard once a year, cleaned them then put them away. She didn't like using them in case broke one. :laugh:

I don't see the point in having them if people don't use them.

Gunk

Guru
It must be the law that once you retire it’s mandatory to have a huge clear out , we have only just started, I can’t believe how much “stuff” we have accumulated over the years that we never use. I’m going for a more monastic lifestyle now, it’s all got to go!

classic33

Leg End Member
Mr WD is the hoarder here. We must have 25 mugs 20 of which are never nor have ever been used. A few may find themselves in the bin (he won't notice).

I to have Waterford cut glass. I have my mum's collection. She gave them to me 5 or 6 years before she passed, I do use them though. My mum never did. She just got them out of the cupboard once a year, cleaned them then put them away. She didn't like using them in case broke one. :laugh:

I don't see the point in having them if people don't use them.
You wait and see what'll happen when you cull your cups!
The cupboard/stand holding the remainder will suffer a catastrophic failure. You'll then have to buy some replacements.

Waterford Crystal is reduced in value if a set is incomplete.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Who is Max??
No, I give up who is it?
Homework was done in the local library, now gone. Or in the classroom on the day it was to be handed in.
Empty bottles could be found round the back of the shop, and returned a second time. Sometimes a third or fourth.
Vinyl record's bought as a kid I still have.
Got rid of all my vinyl earlier this year, kept kidding myself that I’d get another record deck, finally gave up on that.

My parents had a collection of Waterford Crystal - they started it when we used to go for holidays in Ireland in the 1970s
We used to stop in Waterford on the way back to Dublin every year and get some more

When they died I checked the value and it was not worth much despite being an unusual pattern mostly only sold in Ireland

SO I gave most of it away to appropriate people - such as their neighbour who use to come round and chat to my Dad and take him out for "runs" in his car after my Dad became wheelchair bound and blind. They used to have a beer and chat - so I gave him all the beer glasse
I think my aunt got the sherry glasses as they went well with a silver plated tray and decanter she had

I kept the champagne glasses as a memory - but I do use them at Christmas

pawl

Legendary Member
WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.
A generation that walked to school and then walked back.
A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.
A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.
A generation that played hide and seek when dark.
A generation that made mud cakes.
A generation that collected sports cards.
A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.
A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.
A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.
A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.
A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.
A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.
A generation that had parents who were there.
A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake.
A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.
I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times.

How very true.That was like reading a resume of my childhood.
I would add playing football in the street
Knocking on neighbours doors and running away.
Getting books from the local library

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How very true.That was like reading a resume of my childhood.
I would add playing football in the street
Knocking on neighbours doors and running away.
Getting books from the local library

And playing cowboys and indians with catapults. Swinging from tree branches. Riding a bike with no helmet. Going in parents cars with no seat belts. The list goes on but I can't remember them all. The fact is, I am still here and in good health, surviving all those hazards that H&S regard as dangerous now.

pawl

Legendary Member
Homework was done in the local library, now gone. Or in the classroom on the day it was to be handed in.
Empty bottles could be found round the back of the shop, and returned a second time. Sometimes a third or fourth.
Vinyl record's bought as a kid I still have.

My step daughter gave me one of those things you can read books purchased.Couldn’t take to it .Give me a book any day.📖📖

pawl

Legendary Member
And playing cowboys and indians with catapults. Swinging from tree branches. Riding a bike with no helmet. Going in parents cars with no seat belts. The list goes on but I can't remember them all. The fact is, I am still here and in good health, surviving all those hazards that H&S regard as dangerous now.

We never had a car.There was only one person in a are street owned a car.We went everywhere by bus.in including holidays That of course was when we had proper bus service
That post made me think back through my childhood memories.I was born in 1941 Would swop any of my childhood.Not on your Nelie

screenman

Legendary Member
Pasta cupboard and mug cupboard.

Attachments

• 1716028806028437656286914578987.jpg
    1716028806028437656286914578987.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 17160289450261856932952127337251.jpg
    17160289450261856932952127337251.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 17160289728438322703746623231036.jpg
    17160289728438322703746623231036.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10

pawl

Legendary Member
Nah - I much prefer a Kindle

as does my wife

no idea why but I feel the story is better than on a "real book"

I know other people who feel that the feel of a "real book" is an important part of the experience

It may be a generation thing .I was first taken our local library by my big brother,I wasn’t old enough to take out books He would take a book from the childrens section that he my sister or my parents would read to me .I used to put my hand on the counter and the lady librarian would stamp my hand.

screenman

Legendary Member

More people killed in cars in 1961 than any other year since I can agree with the other bits though.

Top Bottom