The rise (?) of Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Been amusing myself with this recently:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC68Pd2nnxGX5r7-t2xiDwdQ/videos

Sorry, couldn't embed for some reason. Anyway, it's funny and worrying in a small way that these people insist on making themselves look foolish in public. I say 'worrying' because they're getting organised thanks to the interweb. In the USA, creationists once tried to get their ideas into the school curriculum.

Really bad 'science', failure to understand real scientific concepts, poor education, paranoia, maybe watching The Matrix too often?.

Even when presented with overwhelming evidence, why do these people carry on......?.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's those who argue flat earth because they enjoy a bit of philosophy... they don't really believe the earth is flat, they just enjoy arguing that it could be. Then there's those who take the philosophical flat earthers seriously, and think woooaaaa, the earth really isn't a sphere!

edit... @captain nemo1701 have you seen the vid proving the earth is flat by simply taking a spirit level on a plane?

Gary E

Veteran
They're still trying and pushing very hard in some states. At the last survey I saw, some 46% of Americans claim to be 'Young Earth' Creationists. That is, they believe the Earth is around 6000 years old. :wacko:

Clearly not true, we have CC members on here that're older than that!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I think it comes down to......things are complex and sometimes not understandable, so people try to re-frame it so they can understand it. I think religion comes from the same place.
This is beyond my understanding....................therefore................ 'God'! :okay:

They're still trying and pushing very hard in some states. At the last survey I saw, some 46% of Americans claim to be 'Young Earth' Creationists. That is, they believe the Earth is around 6000 years old. :wacko:

I never undertand this. The 'Young Earth' creationists base their theories on the book of Genesis, which was never intended to be a scientific book.

If anything it was a way of presenting a new idea through a story, and for its time it was pretty revolutionary.

In chapter two of Genesis the story is repeated in a different order, meaning that either the writer or editor didn't intend to present one black and white account: they were happy to have two different versions.

What seems to be missed every time is that Men and Women are equal in the story, and that Humans are given work to do: looking after the creation they were in, and the writer is very clear that you don't need kings or priests.

In a world run by kings and priests where women were at the bottom of the pyramid this was pretty revoluutionary politics and theology, but it had nothing to do with science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom