The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Did you actually read what I wrote?

Yes.

You said "They are the masters of slowing the ball down at the breakdown, or contact of any kind."

While you didn't say so, that only applies when it is opponents ball.

No team, when on the attack, deliberately slow their own ball down. And it IS a very large part of why Ireland are so successful, that they recycle the ball so quickly their opponents don't have time to get set.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Did you actually read what I wrote?

I did and if NZ are the best, why are they currently ranked at 3😁?

Alex321

Veteran
Rankings are as meaningless in rugby as they are in football.

As for Ireland not slowing down their own ball? They do.

Not normally, when they are on the attack, which is when it matters.

And if they did so normally, then they would not be anywhere near the best in the world. Which they are.

There was a point in the Wales game where they showed statistics on screen of recycle times in the game - 0-4 seconds, 4-8 seconds, etc. Ireland had most of theirs in the first two bands, Wales had none in the first, and most in the 3rd-4th bands.

Rankings are as meaningless in rugby as they are in football.
They're really not.
For a start they play a role in seeding for the World Cup.
With the exception of World Cup warm up games every Test match is contested to win.

As for Ireland not slowing down their own ball? They do.
Well, we can...... which is not the same as we do.
A foundation of our current style of play is speed of distribution from the breakdown. We saw at the weekend in the second half that Wales pushed the boundaries and slowed the ball down leaving us a little lost.

Just about any analysis of Ireland's style mention the high tempo at breakdown.
Perhaps you could post something to back up your opinion rather than slightly provocative one liners?

Over the Ord

6 Nations weekend 11 Feb.

France - win, if they lose they will see it as a warm up for the World Cup and work on the required improvements.
England - win.
Scotland - heart says win, but how good Scotland played and how bad England played last Saturday, at the end it was England 3 try’s v Scotland 4 try’s, 6 point difference, If I hadn’t watch the match I would have said that was a close game.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'll be supporting
France but predict Ireland win - I think Ireland are too good and France didn't look great at times v Italy
Scotland but predict Wales win - I'm a firm believer in Scotland's ability to balls things up.

England-Italy I'll be half heartedly supporting England - just because. But I really want the Azzurri to do well this year, so I'd actually be pleased if they won. I don't think they will manage it though so predict England win.

I'll be supporting
France but predict Ireland win - I think Ireland are too good and France didn't look great at times v Italy
Scotland but predict Wales win - I'm a firm believer in Scotland's ability to balls things up.

Scotland will be still drinking after the win against England. It's all they care about! So Wales should cruise it, especially being stung by the Ireland result. I shall play the neutral from my armchair (as does every England fan when watching the minor nations give their best).

No idea about IRE/FRA, I don't have a good enough rugby sense to compare them - but they should both be feeling confident. Might be a smashing game :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
England are the only team Italy have never beaten in 6 nations.
Tomorrow could be their big day, as they almost beat France last week.

Top Bottom