The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Scotland deserved that. A bonus point win at Twickenham is a rare thing.
Just goes to show how far England have to go.

An awful lot of sore England fans on social media bleating about the big SA playing for Scotland . Sour grapes more like ! Sounded like a great game , didn’t watch it as out with the family . Regardless of the score it must have been entertaining

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
An awful lot of sore England fans on social media bleating about the big SA playing for Scotland . Sour grapes more like ! Sounded like a great game , didn’t watch it as out with the family . Regardless of the score it must have been entertaining

It’s very sad. England have had their fair share of overseas players over the last 20 years. We were second best today.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I was happy that Scotland won, but I've not seen any mention anywhere of the fact that the last Scotland pass in that last try was clearly forward. I was sure that the TMO was going to ask the ref to take another look, or that the commentators would mention it. But nothing. Then looking at social media this morning I thought it was going to be full of folks moaning.... But nothing, again. So I figured it must have been me, but I just checked the highlights on the BBC site and the pass leaves the hand (and, "no it doesn't go out of the back of the hand") almost bang on the twenty-two but is caught three or four metres beyond that line. Like I say I was happy to see Scotland win because they had a Gloucester player in their ranks, but how come forward passes are deemed okay so much of the time? There were many others throughout the two games, and I can only assume there's an edict somewhere to let them go in order for a more entertaining game.

Slick

Guru
I was happy that Scotland won, but I've not seen any mention anywhere of the fact that the last Scotland pass in that last try was clearly forward. I was sure that the TMO was going to ask the ref to take another look, or that the commentators would mention it. But nothing. Then looking at social media this morning I thought it was going to be full of folks moaning.... But nothing, again. So I figured it must have been me, but I just checked the highlights on the BBC site and the pass leaves the hand (and, "no it doesn't go out of the back of the hand") almost bang on the twenty-two but is caught three or four metres beyond that line. Like I say I was happy to see Scotland win because they had a Gloucester player in their ranks, but how come forward passes are deemed okay so much of the time? There were many others throughout the two games, and I can only assume there's an edict somewhere to let them go in order for a more entertaining game.

It wasn't just you, I thought it was forward as well, but came to the conclusion that it must have been camera angles when nobody else mentioned it.

AndyRM

XOXO
It wasn't just you, I thought it was forward as well, but came to the conclusion that it must have been camera angles when nobody else mentioned it.

Yeah, that was my take too. As soon as the offload happened I said to my girlfriend "That's miles forward" but if it hasn't been picked up on it at all then it can't have been. The seethe would be ridiculous, so I'm not really sure what it was that I saw.

Weird, but I'm not complaining. A great game of rugby.

Hoping for a bit of fight from Italy this afternoon, they're usually competitive for about an hour but just don't have the bench.

I always look forward to seeing which version of France shows up too. On their day they are one of the most exciting sides to watch.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Both French props seem to have a somewhat "old-fashioned" prop physique.

Poor Italy are in for a long afternoon I think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What a fantastic match to watch.

If Italy hadn't been asleep for the first 10 minutes or so could have been a different result.

Italy really should be targeting two wins. They are away to England and Scotland but have Wales at home. Forza Azzurri!

The ref had some strange arm signals. Have they introduced some new ones that I don't know about? Arm straight up, not pointing either way. I kept thinking he was signalling a penalty (and to be fair, he was doing that rather a lot)

rualexander

Legendary Member

Yeah I thought it was forward at first, but if you watch it again although the ball does travel towards the try line after leaving Fagerson's hands, he doesn't pass it forwards, it travels forwards as a result of its momentum gained from his running speed.
See this explanatory video from World Rugby YouTube channel :

View: https://youtu.be/box08lq9ylg

delb0y

Legendary Member
Yeah I thought it was forward at first, but if you watch it again although the ball does travel towards the try line after leaving Fagerson's hands, he doesn't pass it forwards, it travels forwards as a result of its momentum gained from his running speed.
See this explanatory video from World Rugby YouTube channel :

View: https://youtu.be/box08lq9ylg

Yes, watched that. Every one of those examples was a forward pass as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm wrong, but it seems so easy to me - there's the pitch/ground and here's the ball, it should go backwards. Why all this scientific stuff all of a sudden? If you're faster, say Louis Rees Zammit, then this logic seems to determine you can pass the ball further forward than, say, Joe Marler... But, like I say, I know I'm wrong. I've been watching rugby all my life and it just feels like in recent seasons there have been, and are, subtle moves from the PTB to make it more attractive to some fictitious group of spectators that, were we to attract enough of them, will save the game. In the process we will lose the old guard (such as myself). If that's the case, so be it.

Don't start my on scrum feeds...

Slick

Guru
I said that to ma mate, I wunner whit part a glesga does oor van come fae?

IMG-20230205-WA0005.jpg

What do we think of the welsh sin-bin (for the "high tackle" on Sexton)?

I'm probably viewing this as a player of other sports; but it seemed to me that the welshman did nothing to threaten injury - he just stood in the way and Sexton charged at him, head-down. If anything, it looked like he was moving backwards slightly at the point of impact.
I understand why the rules are there, but what was the defender supposed to do? Leap out of the way? Offer his soft tummy area for impact??

Top Bottom