The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Did he ever manage a World Cup winning team?

Modest chap, he never mentions it...........more than 20 times every article he writes or TV programme he is on.

Unsurprisingly he never mentions his disastrous tour of NZ as coach of the Lions in 2005, which they lost 3-0. Did he explain how he prepared for that?

He should be listened to as a once successful manager, but has clearly not got all the answers to pass on to his successors.

I really don't believe anyone has all the answers, but I do believe he knows what it takes to build a winning team, even now.

I don't think he would be the type to shy away from failure, that's how most of us learn and can't see him being that different.

I really don't believe anyone has all the answers, but I do believe he knows what it takes to build a winning team, even now.

I don't think he would be the type to shy away from failure, that's how most of us learn and can't see him being that different.

There are many managers who know how to build a winning team, including even Eddie Jones once upon a time. The problem is repeating that success and that shows the managers who really do have what it takes.

As far as shying away from failure is concerned, how, in the talk you went to, did he explain his failure to build a winning team in 2005 Lions?

Don't get me wrong, In 2003 Woodward was a good manager with a very good bunch of players to work with and did very well. He also had a good bunch with the Lions and did badly.

England also have a pretty good squad now, but Eddie Jones has not got the best out of them and the RU need to listen to advice from people involved in the modern game about the right candidate. If they believe they have the right candidate they must give that person the right to choose their own team and strategy.

Slick

Guru
There are many managers who know how to build a winning team, including even Eddie Jones once upon a time. The problem is repeating that success and that shows the managers who really do have what it takes.

As far as shying away from failure is concerned, how, in the talk you went to, did he explain his failure to build a winning team in 2005 Lions?

Don't get me wrong, In 2003 Woodward was a good manager with a very good bunch of players to work with and did very well. He also had a good bunch with the Lions and did badly.

England also have a pretty good squad now, but Eddie Jones has not got the best out of them and the RU need to listen to advice from people involved in the modern game about the right candidate. If they believe they have the right candidate they must give that person the right to choose their own team and strategy.

He didn't talk about particular failures, but he did talk about failures in general, how to analyse them as well as how to make the required changes.

As I said, I found it really interesting listening to him, I was fascinated by his preparation and still feel his opinions still mean something in the game and probably much wider.

I'm a bit of a people watcher, and have always found successful people very interesting, especially what motivates them, mainly because as soon as I reckoned I had sufficient trinkets, I got off the merry-go-round.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Managing / coaching a Lions tour is very different to building a team over time for a world cup though, although Woodward did seem to alienate the Welsh contingent on that tour> that said it was a very very good All Blacks team.

Managing / coaching a Lions tour is very different to building a team over time for a world cup though, although Woodward did seem to alienate the Welsh contingent on that tour> that said it was a very very good All Blacks team.

Of course it is, but you cannot ignore his managerial/coaching failures when looking at his overall record.

Eddie Jones was runner-up in one World Cup, was part of the coaching team when South Africa won it, and helped Japan's development as a rugby team when coaching them. By that token he was at least as knowledgeable a manager as Woodward but was still fallible.

As the financial services blurb says "previous performance is not a sign of future success", and Woodward was the right man 20 years ago, but does not necessarily have the answer to current problems with England.

I believe that, despite the recent setbacks, England have the players to go very far in the tournament with a good current manager who can settle on his best team/tactics.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I tend to be a bit skeptical of putting too much faith in coaching teams, either heaping praise on them when a team wins or calling for their heads when it loses.

Sure they're important, can't deny that. But they don't work miracles or turn a team of thoroughbreds into donkeys. This was the kind of thinking that led the RFU to install Martin Johnson despite his total lack of experience. "He'll sprinkle some world cup winning magic on them". Didn't turn out too well.

I think the current crop of England players are fundamentally OK, but nothing to get excited about. (Maybe Itoje and potentially Smith aside) They don't stand much chance in the RWC whoever the RFU appoints at the top.

Caveat: I am a complete know-nothing and my opinions are worthless.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I like Steve Borthwick, good international, did great things at Leicester and as well as when he was forwards coach. Only problem is the English scrum is now one of the weakest and Borthwick built Leicester on a forward dominated game. We need a good attack coach that sets the players free and doesn’t stifle them.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
We have reached the point where winter becomes bearable. It's an early sign that life is returning to us all.

And when its all over, another 'season' will have passed and good weather will have started to arrive.

The prospects seem very exciting. Hoping for another great competition.

(and Ireland to smash every one!)

Let the fun begin.

Over the Ord

Yes looking forward to the better weather.
January mileage a big fat zero and that includes time on rollers, the worst in 5 years.

Looking forward to the 6 Nations, should be a good and close competition the top 3 teams separated buy a few points, the winner to win the competition on points difference.

World Cup headline.
England knocked out buy Australia.
Quote from Eddie “revenge is sweet”.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes looking forward to the better weather.
January mileage a big fat zero and that includes time on rollers, the worst in 5 years.

Looking forward to the 6 Nations, should be a good and close competition the top 3 teams separated buy a few points, the winner to win the competition on points difference.

World Cup headline.
England knocked out buy Australia.
Quote from Eddie “revenge is sweet”.

Could make for an interesting final, Jones verses Borthwick

yello

As ever, I'll be looking out for Scotland. I've no idea why I've adopted them but there you go, must be something to do with the spirit with which they play.

This side of the channel, a number of reports seem to be suggesting French victory is a foregone conclusion. That sort of talk rankles me, regardless of nation, and I like to see it come back to bite the arse of the proclaimers. Shame I adopt that attitude really as it's nothing to do with the team, who are the ones I should be focused on. So, in that respect, the French visit to Dublin will be a big game, perhaps decisive.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Ireland and France are head and shoulders above the rest on form and consistency. Not much to choose between the rest, but all teams are close enough for surprises. Just hope it doesn’t come down to red cardsnd sinbins.

Top Bottom