The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Aye, but why didn't we at least try for the win? Cheeky drop kick, just something ... not happy with that.

Because a very possible - probable even - outcome would have been two phases, penalty NZ, NZ win.

I was more than happy with a draw that seemed impossible only 9 (game clock) minutes earlier.

Unromantic, I know. In a knock out competition the gamble might have been worth taking. But in a one off match - nah, take the draw.

At the time I was a wee bit disappointed that there was no attempt at a fairytale win, but that's as nothing to how pissed off I would have been if they had handed victory back to NZ.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Because a very possible - probable even - outcome would have been two phases, penalty NZ, NZ win.

I was more than happy with a draw that seemed impossible only 9 (game clock) minutes earlier.

Unromantic, I know. In a knock out competition the gamble might have been worth taking. But in a one off match - nah, take the draw.

At the time I was a wee bit disappointed that there was no attempt at a fairytale win, but that's as nothing to how pissed off I would have been if they had handed victory back to NZ.

Exactly my thoughts too.
It was the correct decision, but didn’t look great at the time.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Great fight back that left me feeling, somehow managed to avoid a loss.
Positive memories would have stemmed if somehow they'd managed a win?

Eddy Jones remains England's biggest problem. He still has time to try another 30 players before the world cup.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Autumn conclusions
Ireland are very good
France are pretty good
NZ are not at their best, but still pretty good
RSA are RSA. Rassie Erasmus is continuting the fine tradition of utter nobheads in RSA officials.
Australia are Australia Not great but hard to beat
England are not good. 9 good mins vs 14 man NZ is not enough. It was fun to watch, though.
Wales are poor
Scotland are Scotland. Could have run an under-par NZ close (or closer) had they not handed them some gifts.
Georgia need to be given more chances to play

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
This is becoming even more like the football.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ked-with-steve-borthwick-lined-up-for-england

I don't follow other team sports. Is this the how e.g. American Football, Baseball, Basketball,Cricket Tec operate?
Presumably the savings mean two large layouts in a sport that is financially struggling through poor management and the covid shutdowns?

PS Stephen Jones in the ST was suggesting Garland was the answer to England's problems. I've long wondered how he keeps his job.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think Wayne Pivac may be available.

Slick

Guru
I recently attended a function who had Sir Clive Woodward as the guest speaker, and what a speaker he was, great to listen to. Spoke at length of the DNA of a champion, which was fascinating and described how he would prepare for tournaments and individual games which again, was fascinating. His take on it is, Steve Borthwick is the man for the job and Kevin Sinfield should be part of his coaching staff as the defensive coach. Obviously just an opinion, but when someone of his stature shares his opinion, individuals tend to listen.

I recently attended a function who had Sir Clive Woodward as the guest speaker, and what a speaker he was, great to listen to. Spoke at length of the DNA of a champion, which was fascinating and described how he would prepare for tournaments and individual games which again, was fascinating. His take on it is, Steve Borthwick is the man for the job and Kevin Sinfield should be part of his coaching staff as the defensive coach. Obviously just an opinion, but when someone of his stature shares his opinion, individuals tend to listen.

Did he ever manage a World Cup winning team?

Modest chap, he never mentions it...........more than 20 times every article he writes or TV programme he is on.

Unsurprisingly he never mentions his disastrous tour of NZ as coach of the Lions in 2005, which they lost 3-0. Did he explain how he prepared for that?

He should be listened to as a once successful manager, but has clearly not got all the answers to pass on to his successors.

Top Bottom