The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rip Tom Smith small in stature but a giant of a man

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Very entertaining game between Harlequins and Montpellier so far; six tries in the first half, with some real end to end stuff.

D

Deleted member 1258

Very entertaining game between Harlequins and Montpellier so far; six tries in the first half, with some real end to end stuff.

We've been watching it, excellent rugby, the try Smith started that went most of the length of the pitch was a corker.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
For many month's now I've been getting more and more fed up with the amount of clear forward passes that are being let go. I assume it's an unofficial decision by the PTB to make the game more entertaining for the occasional viewer. But in my view it's ruining it.

Forward passes seemingly allowed in the Harlequins v Leicester game this afternoon.

delb0y

Legendary Member
"It came out of the back of the hand" appears to be the rationale. I'd simplify the rule and say if the ball travels forward in relation to the pitch then it's forward. I still maintain than the PTB are intentionally allowing many of the laws to be broken and disregarded in an effort to speed up the game and make it more attractive to, say, soccer fans. It'll all end in tears.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The women's 6 nations have been a good watch so far, and the scorelines don't necessarily represent the games.

Women’s rugby is great.
The game isn’t bogged down with the tight defences and sheer physicality of the game.

Women’s rugby is great.
The game isn’t bogged down with the tight defences and sheer physicality of the game.

Certainly not as much, but the English pack is formidable. Having said that, a slightly built Irish lass caught my eye, and I was wondering how she'd cope, just as she tackled one of the forwards head on, lifting her bodily off the floor and driving her back a fair number of yards. :ohmy: :laugh:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
"It came out of the back of the hand" appears to be the rationale. I'd simplify the rule and say if the ball travels forward in relation to the pitch then it's forward. I still maintain than the PTB are intentionally allowing many of the laws to be broken and disregarded in an effort to speed up the game and make it more attractive to, say, soccer fans. It'll all end in tears.

A flatish pass whilst running at pace will always actually travel forward in real terms.

I favour an approach of does it look right? A bit like straight arm bowling in cricket. It’s been proved that almost everyone bends their arm a bit, but you know when it looks wrong.

But I agree that lots of passes do look wrong by my old fashioned standards.

But then the game changes. every ruck and line out would be illegal by the standards of 20 years ago.

Women’s rugby is great.

I have watched women's rugby more this year because of the TV coverage and it is attractive, probably because as yet it Isn't fully professional at club level. England are so much better than most international teams because of the extra time they have had professionalism at international level, allowing them to become much fitter and stronger than the other teams. I hope that, once most international teams become professional that sheer bulk and strength don't begin to take over and change their game like it has the men's.

I have started watching our local village team play in the local leagues and that is also a lot more open than the game at top level, and the teams in those leagues would most likely beat the women's international teams because of the difference in speed and strength, if not in basic skill levels or tactical thinking, but that doesn't take away from the competitiveness and the more open play of the women's game.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Rugby on terrestrial TV?

Tomorrow late PM Chanel 4 are showing Ireland Leinster vs La Rochelle (managed by the next Ireland manager but 2!

The top of European Challenge Club Rugby. Enjoy.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Wow. Started out as a firecracker and then became the longest arm wrestle I've ever seen.

Many, many months since Leinster failed to score a try. Somehow I feel when they look back they will find La Rochelle were in the driving seat throughout.

Engrosssing.

Top Bottom