The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Point and laugh to your heart's content!
My comment referred specifically to the sneering smuggit Max Boyce, who lost no opportunity to gloat when Wales were top dogs, and I rejoiced in the all too rare success of the underdogs Italy.

As for your lazy assumption that I support England unquestioningly, my patriotic feelings evaporated when my compatriots shat on my retirement plans in 2016, and I transferred my allegiance to France. When the Marseillaise was played, I turned the TV volume up from 40 to 64 and sang along lustily, even the very dark middle section:

Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras
Égorger vos fils, vos compagnes !

Allez les bleus!
I never assumed that you supported England unquestioningly. Apologies for assuming that, apparently being from Nottingham, you supported England.

I dislike it when people appear to take more pleasure in another Country’s loss than in their own team’s win. Was it a coincidence that your two comments were gloating over Wales’ losses?

And if you still harbour some dislike of Max Boyce you need to move on. He hasn’t even been popular in Wales this century, except when old Welsh rugby farts sing his songs when drunk. He was rubbish 50 years ago and has not improved with age.

I am lucky in that being 1/4 Italian I soon got over my disappointment with Wales’ loss.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Pause for thought, and some ugly self-recognition.

My antipathy towards Wales is probably not a coincidence, as you rightly surmised. Much of it stems from my playing days, as does my love for gallic flair from seeing Jean-Pierre Rives and Serge Blanco enthralling the crowd at Twickenham.

I played for a works team when Lincoln still had a few heavy engineering firms. We played at county third team level, and each year played against Market Rasen, sometimes their third team, sometimes their seconds, but invariably recognised their first team players temporarily demoted for the occasion, because the young farmers couldn't bear to lose to a team of oiks. I particularly remember Dobbs, their first team fly-half, and Chamberlin* (sic), a lock, both also three counties (Notts Lincs & Derby) regulars. MR also insisted on having their own referee in preference to a pool appointed one, a cadaverous-looking proudly Welsh daffodil**, who was crooked as a nine bob watch.

I jumped against Chamberlin, and he was always lifted, contrary to the laws in those far-off days, and despite him being 3" taller. This was pointed out to the ref, who pointedly ignored it. I was later on the floor on the wrong side of a ruck, and called the ref's attention to illegal handling. For my pains (and it was painful), one of their players stood on my neck and raked my right ear, after which I played on until half time before being taken to hospital in the same ambulance as our scrum-half, who had been knocked unconscious off the ball, and actually stopped breathing in the ambulance. Needless to say, they weren't penalised. I have the scars from a dozen stitches holding my ear back together. In another match, our outweighed but technically superior pack pushed over from a five metre scrum, and our scrum-half touched the ball down over the line, in the scrum, for a try. The Welsh daffodil disallowed it and tried to award a penalty against us, until our (Welsh) captain, who knew the laws inside out, let him know in no uncertain terms, that he would lead his team off the field, report to the relevant authorities, and ensure that the Welsh daffodil never refereed another game. White-faced, the ref awarded the try, to his team's astonishment and consternation. So yes, there's some history there.

I recognise skill and fair play, but note that Alun Wynn Jones is always prepared to bend both the laws and the referee's ear, also that, to my knowledge, Jonathan Davies has never awarded MoM to non-Welsh player. Hell, if he was given that responsibility in a Scotland Ireland game he would name a Welshman!

*When submitting a match report for the local paper, I always made sure he was called Chamberlain.
** Yes, I did type daffodil (of the narcissus family), on purpose.

Edit: Wow, that's some grudge I can carry! It would be an admission of failure to drop it now!

Edit2: I recognise and salute Josh Adams' magnanimous gesture. He's gone up massively in my estimation.

Last edited:
Pause for thought, and some ugly self-recognition.

My antipathy towards Wales is probably not a coincidence, as you rightly surmised. Much of it stems from my playing days, as does my love for gallic flair from seeing Jean-Pierre Rives and Serge Blanco enthralling the crowd at Twickenham.

I played for a works team when Lincoln still had a few heavy engineering firms. We played at county third team level, and each year played against Market Rasen, sometimes their third team, sometimes their seconds, but invariably recognised their first team players temporarily demoted for the occasion, because the young farmers couldn't bear to lose to a team of oiks. I particularly remember Dobbs, their first team fly-half, and Chamberlin* (sic), a lock, both also three counties (Notts Lincs & Derby) regulars. MR also insisted on having their own referee in preference to a pool appointed one, a cadaverous-looking proudly Welsh daffodil**, who was crooked as a nine bob watch.

I jumped against Chamberlin, and he was always lifted, contrary to the laws in those far-off days, and despite him being 3" taller. This was pointed out to the ref, who pointedly ignored it. I was later on the floor on the wrong side of a ruck, and called the ref's attention to illegal handling. For my pains (and it was painful), one of their players stood on my neck and raked my right ear, after which I played on until half time before being taken to hospital in the same ambulance as our scrum-half, who had been knocked unconscious off the ball, and actually stopped breathing in the ambulance. Needless to say, they weren't penalised. I have the scars from a dozen stitches holding my ear back together. In another match, our outweighed but technically superior pack pushed over from a five metre scrum, and our scrum-half touched the ball down over the line, in the scrum, for a try. The Welsh daffodil disallowed it and tried to award a penalty against us, until our (Welsh) captain, who knew the laws inside out, let him know in no uncertain terms, that he would lead his team off the field, report to the relevant authorities, and ensure that the Welsh daffodil never refereed another game. White-faced, the ref awarded the try, to his team's astonishment and consternation. So yes, there's some history there.

I recognise skill and fair play, but note that Alun Wynn Jones is always prepared to bend both the laws and the referee's ear, also that, to my knowledge, Jonathan Davies has never awarded MoM to non-Welsh player. Hell, if he was given that responsibility in a Scotland Ireland game he would name a Welshman!

*When submitting a match report for the local paper, I always made sure he was called Chamberlain.
** Yes, I did type daffodil (of the narcissus family), on purpose.

Edit: Wow, that's some grudge I can carry! It would be an admission of failure to drop it now!

Edit2: I recognise and salute Josh Adams' magnanimous gesture. He's gone up massively in my estimation.

What can I say? That's some grudge against a country because of one referee 40? years ago. Remind me never to get on your wrong side. Let it go if you don't want it to destroy you.

Alan Wyn Jones it must be said is the only international player/captain who bends the laws and the refs' ears. The absolute bounder!

It would be useful if, rather than your already admitted antipathy to Wales, there was firm evidence, other than your unbiased memory, of Jonathan Davies's heinous crimes in selecting player of the match. I have never been interested enough to keep count as I always get annoyed by his whine so I will accept your judgement.

:smooch:

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Two things are guaranteed with Jonathan Davies' commentary - he'll get so high pitched that eventually only dogs can hear him, but before that he'll have yelled 'Numbers' for no apparent reason.

I have been thinking about @Beebo's comment about England being better than the table suggests. I'm not having a go, but I don't see how. They scored less tries than the last 6 Nations and won the same number of games. Eddie Jones has his favourites, and will play them regardless of what the game actually requires.

England could, and given their resources, should be consistently winning absolutely everything.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Two things are guaranteed with Jonathan Davies' commentary - he'll get so high pitched that eventually only dogs can hear him, but before that he'll have yelled 'Numbers' for no apparent reason.

I have been thinking about @Beebo's comment about England being better than the table suggests. I'm not having a go, but I don't see how. They scored less tries than the last 6 Nations and won the same number of games. Eddie Jones has his favourites, and will play them regardless of what the game actually requires.

England could, and given their resources, should be consistently winning absolutely everything.
I think England were probably the 3rd best team overall so im going to amend my comment about the table and say England’s total points was probably lower than it should have been. France and Ireland were well out in front. England should have beaten Scotland by more than just points difference.

france 25
Ireland 21
England 10
Scotland 10
Wales 7
Italy 4

AndyRM

XOXO
I think England were probably the 3rd best team overall so im going to amend my comment about the table and say England’s total points was probably lower than it should have been. France and Ireland were well out in front. England should have beaten Scotland by more than just points difference.

france 25
Ireland 21
England 10
Scotland 10
Wales 7
Italy 4

A shame then that England didn't actually manage to beat Scotland...

Personally I thought they had their best game against Ireland.

A shame then that England didn't actually manage to beat Scotland...

Personally I thought they had their best game against Ireland.
Yes.
(although they're probably a victim of the Must-Beat-England philosophy in Scotland, which of course the rugger team will deny :P )

I'm a fan of ties being determined by result-between-the-two-teams - it seems harsh for SCO to finish below the team they beat.

Even though overall they felt like the 3rd best team - they gave Ireland and France a good fight, and it was the cards that really did for them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a fan of ties being determined by result-between-the-two-teams - it seems harsh for SCO to finish below the team they beat.

I'm not a fan of bonus points or points difference or any kind of tie breaker. Should just be done on win/draw points alone and if two teams are tied they are tied, even if it means a shared championship.

If it wasn't for all the bonus point malarkey it's arguable that Wales wouldn't have been so brainless. But that's being a bit mean to Italy.

So, onto the Womens tournament.

I thought Sco-Eng was quite entertaining, despite Eng never being less than clear favourites. Very surprised to see a plastic pitch - is this now a thing in the odd-shaped ball game??

Perhaps Ire-Wal will be a better contest ... eh, where can I watch it? Maybe listen to it then ...

Hmmm. Seems like the England game was the only match considered by the broadcasters :sad:

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm not really a fan of the Women's 6 Nations; until all the teams are fully professional it's just not even close to a level playing field, so it's barely a contest.

As for artificial pitches, there are a few used in Scotland these days - and not just for rugby, there are loads of football teams which use them. People moan about them all the time, but they make sense IMO.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'd been aware of professional soccer using it since Luton in 1985 (IIRC) - I somehow assumed there were problems with using it for Rugby. Apparently not!

Modern artificial surfaces are hugely improved to what they were back in the day.

Most pitches are a hybrid of grass and synthetic these days in any case.

Top Bottom