The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Do you mean quite amateurish?

Yes, to an extent. But also the lack of physical confrontations.
The modern men’s game is too reliant on well drilled defences and overly developed gym bodies.

AndyRM

XOXO
Things seem to be going rather well for Rees-Zammit in his quest to play for the NFL:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/68659459

For all it's derided, I quite like American Football. I think it's one of those things you have to experience live to properly appreciate the spectacle and everything that goes around it (even at levels lower than the NFL). That said, it does say a lot that they reckon you can be at a high standard within 10 weeks, even with a grounding in other sports.

Alex321

Veteran
Things seem to be going rather well for Rees-Zammit in his quest to play for the NFL:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/68659459

For all it's derided, I quite like American Football. I think it's one of those things you have to experience live to properly appreciate the spectacle and everything that goes around it (even at levels lower than the NFL). That said, it does say a lot that they reckon you can be at a high standard within 10 weeks, even with a grounding in other sports.

I like American football as well. I watch highlights of most of the matches via the NFL Youtube channel. I used to watch all the TV programmes here, but you only get highlights of a few matches each week there, with just the scores given for the others.

I wonder what position he is likely to play if he does get selected by any team. I would guess at wide receiver, but could be something else.

AndyRM

XOXO
I like American football as well. I watch highlights of most of the matches via the NFL Youtube channel. I used to watch all the TV programmes here, but you only get highlights of a few matches each week there, with just the scores given for the others.

I wonder what position he is likely to play if he does get selected by any team. I would guess at wide receiver, but could be something else.

Running back or returner would be other possibilities. Returner would be cool, I always think of the Special Teams guys as being the vaguely unhinged players in the team, kind of like the goalie in football: it's niche and all eyes are on even your tiniest mistake.

Alex321

Veteran
Running back or returner would be other possibilities. Returner would be cool, I always think of the Special Teams guys as being the vaguely unhinged players in the team, kind of like the goalie in football: it's niche and all eyes are on even your tiniest mistake.

Yes, returner would make sense. He isn't big enough for a running back I think.

Wide receivers work by finding space, and while running backs will find space if they can, they often have to plough through defenders in a run play.

As a kid 8 used to go and watch the local team based at PNE ground. A relative worked for the company that did the piling required to take the posts. As a result we kept getting free tickets. I've never seen Preston NE play football but the American football team I've seen a few times. Not a top team obviously but it was full of Americans earning a living over here because they couldn't make the NFL. Teams. It was fun but no green bay packers!

Sorry I'm possibly out of date. The two periods of time I got interested the green bay were the top team and the time before it was the 49ers or giants iirc.

Oh BTW aren't the NFL taking the lead on head injuries in contact sports? Reduced full contact training and other steps. Perhaps RU could look into studying the NFL changes?

AndyRM

XOXO
As a kid 8 used to go and watch the local team based at PNE ground. A relative worked for the company that did the piling required to take the posts. As a result we kept getting free tickets. I've never seen Preston NE play football but the American football team I've seen a few times. Not a top team obviously but it was full of Americans earning a living over here because they couldn't make the NFL. Teams. It was fun but no green bay packers!

Sorry I'm possibly out of date. The two periods of time I got interested the green bay were the top team and the time before it was the 49ers or giants iirc.

Oh BTW aren't the NFL taking the lead on head injuries in contact sports? Reduced full contact training and other steps. Perhaps RU could look into studying the NFL changes?

It's been a problem in the NFL pretty much forever. Like rugby, it's only relatively recently that head injuries are being taken seriously. Personally I think that rugby is ahead in terms of prevention and research, but I could be wrong about that.

This is worth a read/watch - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Denial

Personally I think that rugby is ahead in terms of prevention and research, but I could be wrong about that.

What seems certain is that the introduction of helmets gave american football an unassailable lead in brain injury terms :-(

(It also has an early history faaaaar more violent - and lethal - than either soccer or rugby. Deaths were the norm - it was basically a substitute for war, with ex-generals managing the teams.)

AndyRM

XOXO
Just caught up on yesterday's games in the WSN. Both good games, thought Wales were very unlucky not to make their frequent attacks pay off, but England on the break were very impressive.

Solid display for us against the French, a huge improvement from last year's disaster, definitely going in the right direction.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ireland v Italy was pretty hard going. A lot of mistakes so not much of a game. Italy did well to hold on though, I wasn't sure they were going to manage.

AndyRM

XOXO
A predictable hiding for us at the hands of England yesterday. Got to wonder about their discipline though, two reds in three games isn't great with both caused by dangerous tackling. I do wonder though if that's because the player being tackled isn't expecting a totally different style or position of tackle?

AndyRM

XOXO
Barring a Celtic miracle next weekend looks like it'll all be coming down to England v France on the final day after France wallop Italy.

Overall I've quite enjoyed the tournament so far, and it's good to see the improvements in a relatively short period of time.

Top Bottom