1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The shed thread

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 28 Apr 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Does anyone use a 5x7 shed to keep their bike(s) in? Is there much room?

I'm replacing the wall store thing that's got three bikes in and is too much of a squeeze. I've also got 2 kids' bikes which have been in the dining room for 5 years. But our garden is narrow and I don't want to traipse to the end of it every time I want the bike. So I would like the shed down the house end. 5 feet is about as wide as we can get away with. I'd be interested to know how much bike room there would be inside.

2. Milo

Milo Veteran

cant comment on the room but make sure you alarm it or have a big dog or something shed thefts are common round my way.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

yeah, I've got alarms on the two we have at the moment. And it will be under a security light, which is another reason for keeping it down this end.

The alarms work. they've scared off a couple of thieving buggers so far.

4. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

My shed is 12 x 10 and still too small !

5. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

8x6 for me, 5 bikes fit ok.

Look carefully at the door position MrPaul....i made sure mine was in the middle to give easy access / egress for the bikes. My last shed had the door at one end, it limited how you could place the bikes inside.

6. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I think our shed is 8 x 6 - we have 5 bikes in there - and a lawn mower across the width ... I wouldn't say it was spacious but just do-able?

7. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

If it's sideways opening, 3 bikes I would say. Sideways sheds are a right pain though as you always want the bike at the back.

Can you put it against a wall? I had a blacksmith make me a U bar which bolted to the wall and I cut a slot in the shed, put the shed in place and could therefore lock the bikes to the U bar.

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Thanks for the replies.

Is 6' too short to get a bike in straight then?

That's one of the reasons I'm looking at 5x7. With double doors.

9. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

put your bike in the dining room instead of the kids' :angry:

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

you are awaer that a shed WILL fall down if there's a violent storm?

11. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Mine's 8 ft wide, with the door in the middle of the 8ft , so the sheds 6 ft deep. My bikes sit in there ok, with just a slight angling of the h/bars. 3 bikes on one side, 2 on the other. You do have to move the bikes a bit if you want one of the ones furthest away from the door, but it's no problem.

If you can find a good shed outlet (not B&Q fer chrissakes :angry: ), they will usually tailor it to your specs.

12. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

You could save space by hanging the bikes up by the front wheels, or have hooks in the roof to hang the kids bikes from.

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

If you want to know how much space you get with a 6x8 shed, it is 48 square feet. Whereas with a 5x7 you would only get 35.

14. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

you mean violet storm. Violet.

Most of our storms are just grey, which would explain why my sheds are still upright.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

sheds are actually quite a good idea. I wonder what the biggest shed you can build is? and I wonder how easy it is to make a smooth concrete floor or whether you need "l33t bu1Lding skillz".