The shed thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bonj said:
sheds are actually quite a good idea. I wonder what the biggest shed you can build is? and I wonder how easy it is to make a smooth concrete floor or whether you need "l33t bu1Lding skillz".
Biggest shed I know of is in Gloucestershire (I think) and was the shed for the R101 airship back in the thirties. Saw it on programme starring Robbie Coltrane driving a classic Jag round the country.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
My shed is 12 x 10 and still too small !

My shed is 20ft x 12ft and is also to small.

wafflycat said:
If you keep bikes in a shed, may I suggest these:-

Shed Shackle

Rather excellent bit of kit.

That really is a useful link - thank you. :evil:

I've been thinking for some time I should make my shed more secure, and that looks an impressive solution. Our garden is overlooked by our quite - ahem - inquisitive neighbours both sides, so anything that delays the voleur to that degree ought to put them right off.

Going to measure up and get one ordered, plus some hefty chain and a decent lock.

Mr Pig

Does anyone use a 5x7 shed to keep their bike(s) in? Is there much room?

That's the size of our shed and no, there is no room. It's crap!

There are five bikes in it. Four of them against one wall, stacked left to right alternately, and they get chipped and scratched. My bike sits on its own on the other wall so that I can get it out easily. You need to remove my bike before you can get any of the other bikes out, or anything else out for that matter.

It's a real pain and one of the most annoying things is the damage that happens to the kid's bikes because they batter them off each other getting them in and out. The shed is really too small for five bikes.

bonj said:
see i'm planning on moving to a house with a garage.
But if I could quite easily build a MASSIVE shed i wouldn't need a garage. Do you ever need planning permission for a shed?

ask your planning department if it falls within the scope of 'permitted development'. If they cut up rough, hit with them with the 2007 GDO and the subsection on avian influenza. Then buy some sick chickens.

surfgurl

Re-reading this thread has just reminded me of my late Father-in-law's shed. He knew all the tricks so found a planning loophole. So his shed was brick construction, with electric patio doors down one side. It was carpeted throughout with waisthigh bookshelves on the remaining three walls and artwork on the top of the walls. He had a posh tv and surround sound system, easy chair, fridge and air con.
Somewhere in a posh part of London his shed must still remain.

levad

Veteran
AFAIK all shed measurements are external not internal, you need to take into account the internal supports. Tongue and groove is much better than Shiplap in my opinion.

Headgardener said:
Biggest shed I know of is in Gloucestershire (I think) and was the shed for the R101 airship back in the thirties. Saw it on programme starring Robbie Coltrane driving a classic Jag round the country.

The Cyclemagic shed isn't quite that big - only around 5000 square feet. An that is WAY smaller than we need:sad:

Top Bottom