The Skoda Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy cow, what do you lot put down for you profession? Knife thrower, resident in Moss Side?

Saturday 3rd

Heath (conservation village)
Wakefield
I'd gone over to have a wander around the Leeds Cruise 'Afternoon Out' (16 images)

IMG_6058.jpeg

Tuesday 13th

Do I live on 'Skoda Street'?
Rather like the photographs I took, that are on page 1, to open this thread, there's a quintet parked alongside my house!

I've just been to get something out of my Kodiaq, & in front of/behind mine, there's;
- '20 plate' Fabia hatchback
- '69 plate' Octavia saloon
- '70 plate' Karoq
- '67 plate' Octavia estate

We live opposite a School, so it’s not always the same cars parked there

Last edited:
Saturday 15th

We'd had a surprise (to me) visit to Costco, in Leeds, as I drove back along Low Road, through Hunslet, towards Thwaite Gate
As a certain vehicle had been commented on as we passed DM Keith, I turned into the forecourt, as we'd spotted an Enyaq vRS, when we passed, in that luminous green

I'd expected to be told to just carry on, & drive through, but no 'senior management' told me to stop, all 4 of us got out, & she went in!
She had a look at an Enyaq (with a 'normal' body)
Then I saw it................... a Superb (SE L, I think) estate in 'petrol blue', & it was a (2.0Tdi) diesel!!!:wub:
That's the colour, I still look at whenever I see a Kodiaq/Octavia/Superb in it

Sadly, it was an automatic xx(
Curiously, it had no 'flappy-paddles', how does that work for manual gear-selection???
It was the standard front-driver, I could order a 4x4, but.......... it'd be almost £40,000, as it's only available, with the higher specs!:eek:

BUT............. once again, SWMBO wants me to replace mine with an automatic, again.............
I guess it's still my fault for wanting a manual, when I bought it, back in May 2021?:rolleyes:
I did tell her not to buy the Q3, as it was a 2.0 petrol, & would be uneconomical, rather belatedly, she's realising that:whistle:
(not that I can say that?!
So, her plan is to sell that, get a small runaround (she does like Fabias!!), & replace mine

He did show us an auto Kodiaq outside; https://www.dmkeith.com/skoda-kodiaq-eu22-cgz.html
It turned out that, that one was sold, but we could have a look at it
However, with it being a sporty(!?!) model, it was also on silly '50' profile tyres, too low for my liking!!)

He looked at group stock, & there's a similar model, at the Wakefield branch; https://www.dmkeith.com/skoda-kodiaq-yc21-pyb.html
That's got a fancy LED instrument panel, but again, on silly 20" wheels & '45' profile (?) tyres

SWMBO's on about going to look at the one at Wakefield tomorrow.............

What should I do?
The other options are;
1. Look at a XC60? (XC90's are too expensive)
2. Keep mine a bit longer, & hope she changes her mind again
3. Look at electric Enyaq (probably not the fugly coupe)

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Saturday 15th

We'd had a surprise (to me) visit to Costco, in Leeds, as I drove back along Low Road, through Hunslet, towards Thwaite Gate
As a certain vehicle had been commented on as we passed DM Keith, I turned into the forecourt, as we'd spotted an Enyaq vRS, when we passed, in that luminous green

I'd expected to be told to just carry on, & drive through, but no 'senior management' told me to stop, all 4 of us got out, & she went in!
She had a look at an Enyaq (with a 'normal' body)
Then I saw it................... a Superb (SE L, I think) estate in 'petrol blue', & it was a (2.0Tdi) diesel!!!:wub:
That's the colour, I still look at whenever I see a Kodiaq/Octavia/Superb in it

Sadly, it was an automatic xx(
Curiously, it had no 'flappy-paddles', how does that work for manual gear-selection???
It was the standard front-driver, I could order a 4x4, but.......... it'd be almost £40,000, as it's only available, with the higher specs!:eek:

BUT............. once again, SWMBO wants me to replace mine with an automatic, again.............
I guess it's still my fault for wanting a manual, when I bought it, back in May 2021?:rolleyes:
I did tell her not to buy the Q3, as it was a 2.0 petrol, & would be uneconomical, rather belatedly, she's realising that:whistle:
(not that I can say that?!
So, her plan is to sell that, get a small runaround (she does like Fabias!!), & replace mine

He did show us an auto Kodiaq outside; https://www.dmkeith.com/skoda-kodiaq-eu22-cgz.html
It turned out that, that one was sold, but we could have a look at it
However, with it being a sporty(!?!) model, it was also on silly '50' profile tyres, too low for my liking!!)

He looked at group stock, & there's a similar model, at the Wakefield branch; https://www.dmkeith.com/skoda-kodiaq-yc21-pyb.html
That's got a fancy LED instrument panel, but again, on silly 20" wheels & '45' profile (?) tyres

SWMBO's on about going to look at the one at Wakefield tomorrow.............

What should I do?
The other options are;
1. Look at a XC60? (XC90's are too expensive)
2. Keep mine a bit longer, & hope she changes her mind again
3. Look at electric Enyaq (probably not the fugly coupe)

What's wrong with a dsg superb I won't want a manual tbh, nor do I use the manual function either...

What's wrong with a dsg superb I won't want a manual tbh, nor do I use the manual function either...
SWMBO & daughter, both have automatics, hence why wife wants me to get one
As stated above. she's regretting the Q3 (1)

I'll freely admit, that the furthest I've driven either, is to put them in the garage, & in case of daughters (2), half a mile to fill it up
Even if I did drive then further, the different characteristics of a diesel would make if a totally different experience

I have bad memories of older automatics, eg;
When I was looking for a Discovery (as I couldn't find a nice Range Rover at the time, as a 300Tdi/manual), I tried a Disco 300Tdi - auto, belonging to one of the Sisters
- It was dire, with seemingly, a delay between accelerator being pressed & the transmission deciding it was going to let the vehicle move, or speed-up. It put me off!
- our own Jaguar XKR, was the same, but with slightly less of a delay (purchased from a main-dealer, so would have been checked thoroughly before we collected it)

If I test-drive the Superb, I'll let you know, what I think
That said, it may be a more a case of keeping SWMBO happy?
(who knows, she might even get that Fabia to replace the Q3, but.............. that'll be an auto too....)

1. 2.0 petrol-turbo
2. M-B 'A Class AMG-Line' (think it's a 1.3 petrol-turbo/)

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
SWMBO & daughter, both have automatics, hence why wife wants me to get one
As stated above. she's regretting the Q3 (1)

I'll freely admit, that the furthest I've driven either, is to put them in the garage, & in case of daughters (2), half a mile to fill it up
Even if I did drive then further, the different characteristics of a diesel would make if a totally different experience

I have bad memories of older automatics, eg;
When I was looking for a Discovery (as I couldn't find a nice Range Rover at the time, as a 300Tdi/manual), I tried a Disco 300Tdi - auto, belonging to one of the Sisters
- It was dire, with seemingly, a delay between accelerator being pressed & the transmission deciding it was going to let the vehicle move, or speed-up. It put me off!
- our own Jaguar XKR, was the same, but with slightly less of a delay (purchased from a main-dealer, so would have been checked thoroughly before we collected it)

If I test-drive the Kodiaq, I'll let you know, what I think
That said, it may be a more a case of keeping SWMBO happy?
(who knows, she might even get that Fabia to replace the Q3, but.............. that'll be an auto too....)

1. 2.0 petrol-turbo
2. M-B 'A Class AMG-Line' (think it's a 1.3 petrol-turbo/)

I know what you mean the MK1 xc90 waited until a car approached the roundabout before lurching unpredictably into its path!

The VW dsg is so much more responsive as quick if not quicker than a manual to change gear.

Having thought this over, when l woke up this morning a few questions were going round in my head, with regard to the blue Kodiaq

1. Why is it assumed that buyers of a higher-spec car want ‘rubber-band’ tyres/big wheels?
Mine has ‘55’ profile tyres, & those are low enough profile for me
(the Octavia had ‘60’ tyres, & unkerbed alloys, when l sold it, after 9+ years of ownership)

2. By how much will the economy suffer, from being an automatic?
Over the past 10,000 miles, l’ve seen averages of 50-55MPG
It does an average of 200miles on a 1/4 tank

3. Daft features, like those ‘cornering fog-lights’
I presume it’s manufacturer specific, but can they normally be turned off

Etc…

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
1. Marketing/looks - bigger arches look odd with smaller wheels, as the tyres blend into the shadows. Also, some European roads (Germany's) are as smooth as if they'd been ironed, so it doesn't matter there.

2. DSG is usually more economical than a manual due to the extra ratios. Conventional torque converter boxes waste about 10% more fuel.

3. Not sure if they can be turned off, but they do indeed look cack. My Mazda CX-5 had proper swivelling headlights, which were very effective.

Jameshow

Veteran
Having thought this over, when l woke up this morning a few questions were going round in my head, with regard to the blue Kodiaq

1. Why is it assumed that buyers of a higher-spec car want ‘rubber-band’ tyres/big wheels?
Mine has ‘55’ profile tyres, & those are low enough profile for me
(the Octavia had ‘60’ tyres, & unlearned alloys, when l sold it, after 9+ years of ownership)

2. By how much will the economy suffer, from being an automatic?
Over the past 10,000 miles, l’ve seen averages of 50-55MPG
It does an average of 200miles on a 1/4 tank

3. Daft features, like those ‘cornering fog-lights’
I presume it’s manufacturer specific, but can they normally be turned off

Etc…

Agree our VW caravelle has17 55 235 profile tyres and standard 16/ 65 profile would be cheaper and give a better ride!

Top Bottom