The Subway E and other Carrera E bikes thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
We (ie, myself, @matiz , and various reviewers) all know that the Subway E is the best considered, best value E bike available today.

On top of that, for all the faults of certain older models, Carrera E bikes are very widespread. Last year Halfords were proudly boasting that they sold more Carrera E bikes in the UK than every other brand combined. Whether that's true or not, they're certainly huge sellers.

This being the case, it's about time that we had our own thread for owners of these bikes to revel in the ownership experience, to discuss rides, accessories services and repair, and generally wag our jaws on the subject of Carrera E bikes.

So I'll start.

Mine was decidedly filthy hadn't had a clean since December and was looking like something Kim and Aggy might tut tut at. So, out with a bucket of warm car shampoo and away I went. The advantage of the generous clearances is that my various cleaning brushes can get into all the nooks and crannies very easily, and in less than 10 minutes the bike was clean and wiped dry. Plated parts - clamp bolts, SPD's, rear axle nuts - had a quick spray with ACF50 and electrical connectors a sparing dose of of WD40. Drivetrain clean and lubed.

Doubtless after this afternoons ride it will be minging again, but hey de ho.

matiz

Guru
I was going to to take my top value Carrera ebike for a blast this morning but the rain put me off so after fitting a pannier rack and trunk bag to put a spare tube and drinks bottle in cos there's no room on the frame for a bottle cage
I'm ready to go now the sun's out , I was considering switching the pedals for SPD's like my other bikes but really want to be able to just jump on it with trainers or shoes on.

matiz

Guru
16136519809061592808642.jpg

I took the rack off my Boardman hybrid
It's a disc friendly one the bag velcros on but I've put a couple of zip ties on to make sure.

View attachment 574484

I took the rack off my Boardman hybrid
It's a disc friendly one the bag velcros on but I've put a couple of zip ties on to make sure.
You only need a disk friendly rack with mtb style seatstay mounted calipers. Your more sensible chainstay mounted calipers are compatible with normal racks.
Disk compatible racks are wider, less aerodynamic and weaker.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Following with interest as it's the bike my Dad is after.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
How do you like the 27.5" tyres. Can you get replacement commuter style tyres off the shelf at Halfords ?
The tyres are fine, the roll very well - and so they should, as the outside diameter is within a millimetre of a 700 x 25C tyre.

Theyre 650b x 50mm, so no shortage of tyres in that size. Puncture resistent Kenda's if I recall. Good in all conditions on the road, decent in dry hardpack off road too.

As aforementioned, I've gone for a handlebar mount for my beverage needs. I tend to travel light with an Evoc belt bag, so while I have considered a rack of some sort I've not really had the need to do so as of yet.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Subway? Very well. Im the thick end of 19 stone and it has no problem assisting me up the steepest hills. Handling is neutral and very stable. Brakes are excellent peformers for budget hydros. The whole thing was clearly thought out very well and just works nicely. Think of it as the Defy of the ebike word - cost effective, performs beyond the apparent sum of its parts.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, the Vengeance in particular could have some issues on the previous model.

Fortunately the Subway E seems pretty robust, with a different spec Etrain, and seems largely unaffected by these issues.

Interestingly thought though. Halfords reckon they sell more Carrera ebikes than every other brand combined. Go to any UK based ebike forum (I browse several but I'm not signed up to any) and go to their problem pages. Despite Carrera selling more than all the other brands combined, the majority of the problem threads are abour the other brands, which strongly suggests that the reality of the situation is nowhere near as bad as the hysteria one hears in some quarters.

The Vengeance isn't my thing personally - I detest Suntour forks with a passion, and my weight just overwhelms them - but that aside I'd be quite comfortable and happy owning one. There have been problematic ones for sure, but they've changed the spec for the 2021 model year and the odds are well on your side.

The specific cutting out issue mainly affected the Bafang motor'd Vengeance, and the Suntour powered Vulcan was largely immune. The Vengeance has the same spec Etrain as the Vulcan for the 2021 model year so thats been well addressed now, all Suntour with a different display and hilder. The Subway uses the HESC+ system, minor redesign to the motor and an extra 10NM (supposedly), different controller and display, and isn't affected at all.

But if anyone has one with a problem then pipe up here and we'll try and help.

Last edited:

jags

Guru
now you have me thinking .i fancy either the raleigh motus grand tour or the cube hybrid touring both cost well over 2000 euro.
theres a halfords here in my town but i don't think there getting any new stock in covid has everything knackered.
so anyway how would you reckon honestly the subway E would compair to raleigh or cube.
besides saving me a fortune.

Top Bottom