The summer urge to buy a road bike

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by beanzontoast, 31 Jul 2012.

1. Do you get this at all? I've had it the last 5 years and have resisted so far. I know I would use it in the good weather months, but I think it would sit gathering dust in the dark, cold, wet (i.e. wetter) months while my hybrid kept on rolling year round.

On the other hand, if I never buy one, I'll never know what it would be like!

Same every year - do it :hyper: .... don't do it :stop:

:unsure:

2. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Take Nike's advice - Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norm likes this.
  3. Chrisc

Chrisc Über Member

Get on with it....
    My summer bikes always get used all year anyway. Can't go back to the old one once a new one is in the garage. :smile:

4. rollinstok

rollinstok Well-Known Member

Summer ?

5. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I did it last summer and have no regrets. Yes it spent nearly the entire winter safely tucked up in the garage wrapped in a bubble wrap bag but hey, that's what I always intended to do.

If you have the cash and the space then I say go for it, it does add another element to the cycling experience.

6. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

My summer bike is my winter bike - a titanium frame soon pays for itself.

Norm likes this.
  7. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I don't get this? My summer bike is aluminium, my hybrid/all weather bike is aluminium and my MTB is aluminium. I just don't want to put mudguards etc on a nice light summer bike.

8. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Guru

What I could do, of course, is get rid of the mountain bike that doesn't get much use nowadays and make space that way. That would still leave me with 3 bikes in total.

9. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Ah well, I don't have mudguards etc on any of my bikes. I don't commute, so if it's siling it down I don't go out on the bike.
    tbh I don't like aluminium - it may not rust but my MTB has certainly corroded.

10. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I've got two (three - ones a fixed commuter) road bikes and still lust after another 'summer bike'. The road bikes still get used in the winter though, just not daily as I have a bike that does that.

Can't have enough bikes you know. My son currently has two, and he is 11. (well three - one he has grown out of that will be sold soon).

ianrauk likes this.
  11. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

I ride my road bike all year round. Just wash of the road crap in the winter, jobs a goodun.:thumbsup:

12. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I might buy another 'nice' bike soon :whistle:
    The nice weather certainly makes opening the wallet a little easier.

fossyant likes this.
  13. Monsieur Remings

Monsieur Remings Veteran

Remember Beanz, we're in the middle of winter so it might be worth waiting for the summer which starts in March and goes on for a few weeks.

I had the urge too earlier in the year but fought off the desire, partially because my mechanic was so complimentary about the one I've already got! Job's a good 'un!

14. Don't blow too much cash if it's gonna be limited use. Then just get out and have fun!

15. lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck Well-Known Member

Summer? Nice weather? am i the only person who's in England?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice