The Swallows Nest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
In a way i wish we could tag one of them and follow its progress from nest.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
[QUOTE 3796903, member: 9609"]

sn51b_zpscz8poup3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That last pic looks ideal for a caption comp.

Herbie

Veteran
[QUOTE 3796903, member: 9609"]it would appear they have had a little flying practice within the garage (or may be even outdoors) So Day 17 is the day they left the nest. You can see in the first picture they have relocated along the ladders, may be into one of the other nests the parents bizarrely built, I would guess the original nest is a bit smelly

sn51a_zpstwze94z1.jpg

I do love Mr Sparrowhawk but I do hope he sods of somewhere else for the next few days, these little ones are so vulnerable in their first few days.
sn51b_zpscz8poup3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Have you given them names?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Practising 'sleeping on the wing' maybe. I'd heard that the technique they used was to fly to altitude then set their wings into a glide and doze, of course this may be an 'old wives tale' along with the 'once they leave the nest for good they don't land for 2 years you know'.
I don't know if either of those are true but I've heard both of them over the years.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Practising 'sleeping on the wing' maybe. I'd heard that the technique they used was to fly to altitude then set their wings into a glide and doze, of course this may be an 'old wives tale' along with the 'once they leave the nest for good they don't land for 2 years you know'.
I don't know if either of those are true but I've heard both of them over the years.
I think that's Swifts, isn't it? I have recently had swift boxes put on my house walls, to encourage them. I love watching them.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We have a housemartin nest up in the eaves ... just been outside listening to the young'uns tweeting away. I love sitting in the garden watching the adult ones flying about in the evening. Next door have swallows in their shed every summer too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So do they start off on the migration earlier than the parents? (Considers sending the kids off on an early holiday...)
My parents used to do that every summer, school would break up and I'd be at the airport heading for Northern Ireland where we would be passed around all the relatives until they would turn up 4 weeks later to join us.^_^

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 3797221, member: 9609"]It would be very interesting, but may be somebody eleses swallows, I would be a nervous wreck by xmas checking they were still OK 50 times a day - I am bad enough as it is, this next fortnight or so I will be counting them every evening..[/QUOTE]
Not swallows but the BTO are tagging & tracking cuckoos on their journeys to and from West Africa

Top Bottom