The Swallows Nest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
This is a terrific thread @User9609 thank you ^_^

Some years ago, in springtime, I was crewing on a yacht delivery from Caernarfon to Falmouth. Crossing St David's Bay (between Miford Haven and Lands End) as the sun was setting two swallows dived across the cockpit, through the open hatch into the cabin and disappeared. When I turned in a couple of hours later going off watch, the swallows had settled themselves in the forecabin, on my berth. I found somewhere else to kip so as not to disturb them.

They left at first light, having left me some souvenirs on my sleeping bag.

Apparently, this is not unusual - they hitch lifts on passing ships at bed-time too.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I just went into the bedroom of the house I'm staying in to find one flying around the room, luckily he quickly found his way back out again.
Went into a trinket shop somewhere last year and there were a couple in there. Sufficient roof space for them to get away from customer traffic but they couldn't work out where the door was. Two large rooms in there and windows and lights were just too confusing. I don't know what became of them :sad:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
As others have said. Great reporting @User9609

alicat

Legendary Member
Thank you for the update, Reiver. It does make sense for it to be the same one on his/her own or they would all be scattered by now. Staying in a group does also offer more protection from the sparrow hawk, I suppose.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Love it, that photo is just perfect.
Such a close knit group, it makes me sad to think that they will soon be on the wing and may never bump into each other ever again. :cry:

Top Bottom