The top speed of a Jack Russell and the danger of the internet.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Jack Russell wasn't a bad wicketkeeper either. Bit harsh calling him a "small legged terrier" mind...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can you extrapolate?

:blush: @Fab Foodie - you knew what I meant! :laugh:

What about a combination of speed and stamina?

If the greyhound is trained to run at top speed for :scratch:500 metres, does it slow down after that?

The Jack Russell may have a much lower top speed, but can they run further?
Helloooo :smooch:
You're right, a Jack Russell will run all day. Classic sighthounds - Whipps, Greyhounds, Salukis etc, soon tire at full pace.
The reason 'Lurchers' exist is to combine the speed of a Sighthound with the stamina of something else.
Vizlas are a bit of an exception being very fast and high stamina.
The issue here though was about maximum speeds and how simple errors (like kph/mph) can end-up regurgitated as fact without thought.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Helloooo :smooch:
You're right, a Jack Russell will run all day. Classic sighthounds - Whipps, Greyhounds, Salukis etc, soon tire at full pace.
The reason 'Lurchers' exist is to combine the speed of a Sighthound with the stamina of something else.
Vizlas are a bit of an exception being very fast and high stamina.
The issue here though was about maximum speeds and how simple errors (like kph/mph) can end-up regurgitated as fact without thought.

Indeed, my lurcher is very quick, tops around 40mph or so, and keeps going. Out of the park, and happily keeps up with traffic on the main road. Which is why he is now an on lead dog, and why we now have no grass...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Can you extrapolate?

:blush: @Fab Foodie - you knew what I meant! :laugh:

What about a combination of speed and stamina?

If the greyhound is trained to run at top speed for :scratch:500 metres, does it slow down after that?

The Jack Russell may have a much lower top speed, but can they run further?
Clearly a greyhound can’t maintain top speed for very long, like a cheetah.
A jack Russell is unlikely to be great over long distances because of their short legs. But undoubtedly explosive and fast over a short distance as it has to catch rats.
They best long distance runners would be something like a Dalmatian which was breed for running long distances.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Clearly a greyhound can’t maintain top speed for very long, like a cheetah.
A jack Russell is unlikely to be great over long distances because of their short legs. But undoubtedly explosive and fast over a short distance as it has to catch rats.
They best long distance runners would be something like a Dalmatian which was breed for running long distances.
Be careful what you say about the length of limbs........it's a well know fact that @Fab Foodie has extremely short legs.

mustang1

Legendary Member
A lie, told enough times, becomes the truth. Those internet algorithms propagate this myth and as Fab said, that's a dangerous thing. (Actually, it would get propagated even without the internet, but perhaps not as quickly).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Speaking from personal experience I can vouch for the speed and accuracy of the Jack Russell. At least equivalent to that of the very latest in military grade laser guided ordnance.

Two summers ago I cruised by a farmyard at perhaps 15-17mph. Out of nowhere the JR launched itself with astonishing precision at my left ankle ripping the sock and drawing blood. Six inches either way and he'd have been in my wheels.

:laugh::laugh:
They are more accurate than Squirrels then>> I had a squirrel do similar from some woods*, but hit the front wheel in the lower front quadrant, took a spoke assisted trip around to the front forks, a thunk was heard, it dislodged and shot back int the woods, no doubt looking for ibruprofen.

* this assumes it wasn't aiming for the front wheel, if it was aiming for the front wheel, it was accurate, but stupid.

Top Bottom