The top speed of a Jack Russell and the danger of the internet.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was the Jack Russell european or african?

Couldn't see any nuts in the picture though ...

Venod

Eh up
A jack Russell is unlikely to be great over long distances because of their short legs
I think this is another fake news item, I have took the daughters Jack Russell on several occasions, promising to tire her out, only for me to be prone on the sofa and the dog running round the garden on return, I have never encountered a dog with as much energy, she is probably wearing a groove in the daughters garden right now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A jack Russell is unlikely to be great over long distances because of their short legs. But undoubtedly explosive and fast over a short distance as it has to catch rats.
Absolutely wrong!
I think this is another fake news item, I have took the daughters Jack Russell on several occasions, promising to tire her out, only for me to be prone on the sofa and the dog running round the garden on return, I have never encountered a dog with as much energy, she is probably wearing a groove in the daughters garden right now.
Absolutely right!

I enter this post in evidence... :whistle:
My friend's dog came with us on a holiday in Scotland. I had my doubts about taking him because we were going to do quite a lot of cycling and it didn't seem fair to leave him alone in the caravan all day. I hadn't realised that he would be running along with us...

He ran 150+ miles on Scottish Highland roads and forestry trails that week!

1618334436047.png

(He'd get back to the caravan after his run, have something to eat and drink, and then flake out completely. Next morning he would wake up and be ready to go again... Mighty impressive!)
:smile:

I do like the fact that the images include a picture of Scunthorpe's aptly named former manager Alan Knill for some reason. :laugh:
If you follow some of the links, you will see why... YIKES! :eek:

Julia9054

Guru
That reminds me. Once had a pigeon fly in to my foot at high velocity. It died.
I was once cycling along minding my own business when a pigeon plummeted out of the sky hitting me on the arm as it fell.
It lay on the road still alive - just - but with a broken neck. Al and I plus a passing bloke on a motorcycle stared at it for a bit then we nominated motorbike bloke to pick it up and move it to the hedge on the basis that his gloves were thicker than ours!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
The issue here though was about maximum speeds and how simple errors (like kph/mph) can end-up regurgitated as fact without thought.

Indeed, but the greatest animal maximum speed fallacy of all time was perpetrated well before the internet age.

In my early youth, I used to own an inherited old (1930s/40s I think) book, a compendium of interesting facts etc, which, in all seriousness, included a list of various animal world maximum speeds, with at the top: Deer Botfly - 818 mph. Yes that's right, eight hundred and eighteen miles per hour!!

Even at a very young age I thought the claim was preposterous and must have been a misprint. But this wasn't a misprint at all, and there is an ODD BUT INTERESTING STORY behind how the error ended up being believed (or rather disseminated) by some publishers.

Wish I'd kept that book.....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Correct, they run on Duracells....

Top Bottom