The top speed of a Jack Russell and the danger of the internet.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's a terrible echo in here
Where?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I reckon jack russells can jump higher than whippets. Bounce a rubber ball on the ground and they leap like salmon.

Question on punctuation: do breeds of dogs start with capital letters?

Proto

Legendary Member
Indeed, my lurcher is very quick, tops around 40mph or so, and keeps going. Out of the park, and happily keeps up with traffic on the main road. Which is why he is now an on lead dog, and why we now have no grass...

Our lurcher Lexie (Greyhound/Collie) is pretty rapid, and doesn’t seem to get tired, and the only thing that stops her is overheating, often found her standing in cattle troughs after a run.
She‘ll keep pace with a whippet but can’t match their ability to turn on a sixpence.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon jack russells can jump higher than whippets. Bounce a rubber ball on the ground and they leap like salmon.

Question on punctuation: do breeds of dogs start with capital letters?
Jack Russells - yes, border terriers - no, Yorkshire terriers - yes/no! :okay:

YourDictionary.com said:
Dog and Cat Breed Capitalization
Individual species, breeds or varieties within a category follow the same capitalization rules surrounding proper nouns and common nouns. The part of the breed that is derived from a proper noun is capitalized, whereas a part derived from a common noun is not. That's why "German shepherd" should have a capital "G" for German, but a lowercase "s" for shepherd. The rules would be similar for a French bulldog and English foxhound but lowercase for a cocker spaniel or golden retriever.

Some dog’s names include proper nouns for places and people like:

• Airedale terrier
  • Brittany spaniel
  • Doberman pinscher
  • Jack Russell terrier
  • Clydesdale
  • Mexican wolf
  • Persian cat
  • British shorthair
  • Siamese cat
That being said, some websites like the American Kennel Club and The Cat Fanciers’ Association capitalize the names of breeds: German Shepherd, French Bulldog and English Foxhound. However, this goes against official standards, like those described by the MLA Style Center (Modern Language Association).

Proto

Legendary Member
My daughter paid a flying visit recently and brought her Boston terrier, Flynn, with her. We feared WW3, but after an hour of tenterhooks things settled down, and then they were playing ‘zoomies’ around the garden, best mates. The little terrier was surprisingly quick, outpaced but still very rapid.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Our lurcher Lexie (Greyhound/Collie) is pretty rapid, and doesn’t seem to get tired, and the only thing that stops her is overheating, often found her standing in cattle troughs after a run.
She‘ll keep pace with a whippet but can’t match their ability to turn on a sixpence. View attachment 583830
That fab seeing a lurcher in water. Ours is a rescue and I took him to the Lakes last year, at 4 years old I think it was the first time he'd ever paddled, not got him swimming yet though.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That fab seeing a lurcher in water. Ours is a rescue and I took him to the Lakes last year, at 4 years old I think it was the first time he'd ever paddled, not got him swimming yet though.
2 year old Basil Whippet is very water averse, though we can get him splashing in the shallows at the beach in the summer on a hot day chasing his ball, Herbie the 7 month young pretender however, takes every opportunity to charge into ponds and streams....

Proto

Legendary Member

She’s probably more Collie than anything else, and Lex was very averse to water as a youngster. We used to walk along the river with a Labrador which spent most of its time swimming. Lex gradually got the idea, started off paddling and before long was swimming. Launches off the bank and belly flops, totally fearless.
Same at the beach, flat out into the surf if she sees another dog in the water. She swims very well. I heard a woman say the other day “look at that dolphin dog!”

Top Bottom