The Tour o’ the Borders sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
It was wet from the moment i set of, the only good thing was it was a wee bit warmer, I can still feel the rain battering if my face just now, it really was like getting sand blasted

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Came home 141st

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

555984_316962541764308_850137641_n.jpg

563781_316962438430985_2075673982_n.jpg

525371_316962608430968_1510239044_n.jpg

RedMG

Regular
Great photos, I think I had cycled across that road a bit before this, all be it at a 45degree angle leaning into the wind. This was my first sportive, are they all this much fun?

Col5632

Guru
shocking i`m not in any of them

Did you even do it? :laugh::shy::crazy:

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Tour o’ the Borders – the UK’s most extreme sportive?

Sportives aren’t usually considered an extreme form of cycling – but riders who tackled the gale force winds, flooded roads and torrential rain in Sunday’s Tour o’ the Borders may beg to differ

The conditions may have been horrendous, but that didn’t stop the majority of the 1000 strong field completing the route – albeit a shortened version thanks to flash flooding rendering some roads completely impassable.

Only the first wave of riders were able to complete the 114km route, with others diverted onto the shorter, 80km course to avoid flash flooding that left some roads under waist deep water. But over 700 hardy souls still made it across the finishing line.

With no weather warnings in place or flood alerts issued, organisers had made the call early on Sunday morning to go ahead with the event, despite the torrential rain.

It wasn’t until the cyclists were on course that the weather really closed in. Local people rallied behind the riders and scores of volunteers went out in 4x4s, cars and even tractors to rescue any riders who wanted to turn back. However, most seemed to determine to finish the route.

Neil Dalgleish, one of the organisers of the Tour o’ the Borders, said: “We really couldn’t have predicted just how bad the weather was going to be. The forecast wasn’t great, but there were no flood or weather warnings in place. I’ve never seen anything like it – the combination of snow melt, heavy rain and strong winds made for atrocious riding conditions.

“As soon as the storm really set in we sent out a fleet of vehicles to go and pick up riders and help anyone who needed it, but amazingly, only six of them took us up on it. When we were out on course it was great to see everyone helping each other out and just making the most of it – it was a sort of ‘blitz spirit’ mentality. Most people seemed to see the funny side and crossed the line with a smile on their face. I think it’s safe to say this year’s tour will be remembered for a very long time to come. Although it doesn’t seem to have put people off, with most saying they’ll be back next year to take on the 2014 route, which will be a closed road event.”

And one participant, Chris Turbitt, even found himself being rescued by a tractor as he was caught out by the rising flood water on the B711 near Tushielaw.

The 42 year old from Roslin said: “The weather was truly awful but I actually felt more sorry for the marshals than the riders. We put our heads down, gritted our teeth and just got on with it, but they were standing still at the side of the road for hours on end. I take my hats off to the marshals and organisers for they way they handled the situation.”

The riders were rewarded for their efforts with hot food and showers at Peebles High School, with many saying the weather hadn’t put them off.

Peter Wilson, from Darlington, commented: “I have never ridden in anything like it but I will be back to conquer it next year without a doubt. It’s a fantastically well organised event with some great people involved – I’m looking forward to 2014 already.”

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

default_40220130918125151.png

TOUR O' THE BORDERS 2014: NEW SUMMER DATE ANNOUNCED
10 August 2014 - Closed Road Event!

58220130924151521.jpg

Great news! We can now confirm the date for next year's Tour o' the Borders. We are delighted to be able to run the 2014 event on a superb closed road circuit (all the details coming soon) and at a time of year which should mean short sleeves and tan lines - not wet suits and snow-melt

Last year
42520130924144811.jpg

Top Bottom