The Tour o’ the Borders sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Done the long route....what a day, had the head wind from hell until after the first food stop, even going down hill in the wind i was only doing 12 MPH, seeing water going up hill because of the wind wasn`t a good sign, when i got the tailwind it was great fun....the water at times was nearly half way up my wheels

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Can i just add, the weather was sh!t and it was tough day in the saddle but i had a great laugh, had a few laughs with others, rivers really did turn into rivers...and i loved it

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Taken from twitter

BH0nJa1CEAAGn_s.jpg

11617_520947607966826_1142331470_n.jpg

RedMG

Regular
I did the long route. Tough first ever sportive but enjoyed it now that I'm finished. Highlight was riding uphill into a massive headwind, then looking down at the flowing road / river I was riding in and realizing I was also riding "upstream" !
Where do I sign up for next year?

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Aye water going up hill because of the wind was a new one to me....the second food stop was very good

DaveK

The climbing was really tough, especially when gusts hit me making me almost come to a standstill lol. Still though, I had a great day, couldn't stop laughing at some of the flooding everyone was cycling through, it was crazy. I went with the short route in the end, the temptation for a warm pie was too strong!

So for my first sportive it was definitely a cracker! It also means that my next one will be in better weather cos there is no way it could get any worse haha! Congrats to everyone!

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

The tailwind we had after the first food stop was amazing , easily doing close to 30mph without even moving the pedals

That second last climb after the second food stop was a bast@rd, you could see how far you had to climb from the bottom of it, it looked amazing

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

The laughs I had on the descents when the we had the tough headwind, I was in with a group of guys and we were nearly running each other of the road, the wind was easily blowing from one side of the road to the other, you could almost feel yourself stopping on the descents the wind was that strong

Also I was just drying off after the last climb then we hit more flooding on the last 10 mile, it was that deep it was half way up my wheels

Col5632

Guru
I'm really surprised they never just cancelled it, was it as bad as that before it started? I drove over to edinburgh yesterday and even in the car it was a challenge :shy:

Top Bottom