The Transcontinental Race 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Agree: Kristoff is phenomenal.
Some other riders, like Ed Pickup, have a similar pattern - although obviously not as fast as KA. Rimas does look to me as if he went off too quickly and is now suffering.
I've zoomed in on his route and he may now have turned East to track a valley but I can't help thinking he has gone off course. He is further north than he was almost three days ago! He was taking two GPSs but the batteries could have run out. Maybe he's now regretting not having a couple of panniers of OS maps:whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe he's now regretting not having a couple of panniers of OS maps
OS coverage abroad ...? :whistle:

iLB

Hello there
Maybe he had conceded before hand that he wouldn't be making it home first? They have 14 days right? So maybe he's taking a route he thought he would enjoy as much as anything else.

He did ask me about cycling in Romania, maybe he was put off by the stories of wild dogs...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Maybe he had conceded before hand that he wouldn't be making it home first? They have 14 days right? So maybe he's taking a route he thought he would enjoy as much as anything else.

He did ask me about cycling in Romania, maybe he was put off by the stories of wild dogs...
When I was talking to him about it, he didn't seem interested particularly in winning. He thought whoever did win would probably do it in about 7 days whereas he was aiming for 10 I think

StuartG

slower but further
Rimas has re-entered the Warsaw Pact ...

Kristof just blazed through Sofia. Its as if he can already smell the Turkish coffee ...
34. something Kph as Allegaert sprints through Bulgaria...mind out for stray uncles, Kristof!
gallery-uncle-bulgaria-187x250.jpg

Go East Young Man!
Go Rimas!

frank9755

Cyclist
East! Phew!

Or north-east...:ohmy:
He looks like he's going north of Lake Balaton, which will take him close to Budapest, and put him on track to have to cross the Carpathian Mts into Romania. He's either got lost or radically changed his plan because he was intending to go through Slovenia but not Hungary.

Meanwhile, back in the race towards Istanbul, EP, MW and JJ are all converging from three different directions, very close to each other. Will be a good race between those three for third place, but my money is on Ed.

Looks like a bit of an 'Italian job' taking shape, at first glance.
I can only think that Rimas has been scrumping apples and they have fermented en route, giving him cider legs. I like iLB's stealth approch theory too, although Rimas will enjoy telling us his reasoning. Wont you, Rimas? :smile:
Go Rimas!

Edit: Frank's EP analysis is my thought too - at the moment he is ticking over twice as fast as MW and 4 x JJ.
Good going everyone - it hasn't been too hard a week sitting in front of a PC watching you. Carry on. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom