The Tyre Extinguishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
And anyone who eats anything

It was already quite a silly post by the time you got to this bit, but you have excelled yourself.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
What is it you've got to do that's so unusual, important, and impossible to do without a mahoosive SUV, that everyone else has to bear the social, environmental and economic impacts on your behalf? Just out of interest...

Tow my horse box, take my caravan on tour . Can fit the family and both mothers in it. Saves taking two cars ! We don’t all live in the city and quite frankly I’m glad I don’t , so couldn’t care less . :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
So what you are both saying (@matticus and @theclaud ) is that you can pick and choose what environmentally damaging activities are ok, and what are not. Just as I thought. Much like all these eco warriors, it's a case of do as I say, not as I do. And the eco Police will decide and foist their misguided beliefs on the rest of us. Hence why I personally don't give a feck. Well, that, and the fact that one false move and Putin will make sure that all our efforts to save a few grammes of CO2 here and there count for nothing :rolleyes:.
I think this thread is heading for the inevitable result, so just getting my tuppence worth in while it's still possible...

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
:laugh: I was gonna mention Putin as well . It won’t matter a jot if we go down that route !

And if it's not Putin, it'll be Kim wrong-Un. Maybe a big volcano, or a meteorite. Or Coronavirus 4, the real deal. Something is long overdue to reduce the human population, which is the REAL problem on our planet. Reducing CO2 is just tinkering with the issue.

Brandane

Legendary Member
(*I rode through Portobello last week. Appaling road surface, admittedly - but it ain't the serengheti, any modern car could deal with it. And every heavy vehicle is just making it worse. )

Best put a stop to all those buses using the roads of Portobello and elsewhere then. Delivery vans, lorries, and anything bigger than a Nissan Note while we're at it. Electric cars too, given that they are about 30% heavier than their ICE equivalent. Ambulances, fire engines; ban the lot of them in case they damage the road surface!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to build roads in such a manner that they are fit for purpose, the way the roads department of the local council used to do prior to the contracts being given to the cheapest bidder.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Not being funny, but there’s a real chance that some of these SUV damaging antics could see the tyre extinguisher getting beaten to a pulp/disappear of the face of the earth with some of the criminals that run flash expensive SUV’s, people have been shot for less, mess with that G-Wagen/Range Rover at your peril

Cerdic

Not being funny, but there’s a real chance that some of these SUV damaging antics could see the tyre extinguisher getting beaten to a pulp/disappear of the face of the earth with some of the criminals that run flash expensive SUV’s, people have been shot for less, mess with that G-Wagen/Range Rover at your peril

This was my first thought. Maybe it’s just the area I live in, but most Range Rovers and the like are driven by drug dealers. Not the sort of people you want catching you fiddling with their motor…

Cerdic

There seems to be a bit of muddled thinking here.

How are we defining an ‘SUV’?

In Britain, we used to call these vehicles ‘off-roaders’ or ‘4x4s’. The term SUV came from America and was short for sports utility vehicle, the sort of thing you could take into the wilderness to hunt bears. These cars had body-on-chassis designs and all-wheel drive. They were big, heavy, and thirsty and a genuine target for the environmentally minded unless you really needed their capabilities - so farmers, basically!

These days all sorts of cars get called SUVs. Most of them are unitary construction and two-wheel drive. They are basically ordinary cars that are a bit taller. Weight, fuel consumption, and road footprint are very similar to traditional saloons and hatchbacks. There is absolutely no logical, technical reason for these cars to be singled out on environmental grounds.

There are, however, still enormous SUVs with massive engines out there. Stuff like Range Rovers and G Wagens and the like. The lentil tyre people seem to be misinformed. One of the ‘evil SUVs’ in their photos appeared to be a Toyota RAV4 with, very probably, a hybrid powertrain that is more fuel efficient than you’re average Ford Fiesta…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom