The ultimate bike shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Drago's fault, he got me thinking on this. If you owned or used the perfect bike shop what would it look like? I would recycle all parts where I could. I would do my best to charge by ability to pay. I would run local deliveries on cargo bikes. Courtesy bike taxi if people had to leave their bike at the shop. Courtesy cycles. Coffee and cake, sandwiches counter. I'm guessing those that could afford 5 grand for a bike wouldn't frequent this kind of shop so I would not stock crazy price stuff. Great music in store. Cycling promotion as transport to local community. So many other things!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I love your shop!

I'd add close links to the local cycling campaign and cycling clubs, free confidence and maintenance sessions.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Courtesy bike Taxi - great idea (Doesn't even have to be courtesy, I'd be happy to pay for this. In fact i'd welcome the chance to try Something different, whilst covering the insurance necessary.)

Also mechanics\shop need to up their game when it comes to feedback.
"It's done", does not compare with what a good car service report gives you theses days.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The LBS I use has re-organised themselves in the past year, doing a lot of the above. The only thing they don't have is a courtesy bike taxi as they're too busy, but I've seen 'loan' bikes around.

As a result they're busy and popular. The coffee shop works and the workshop is needing to expand. Mechanics who explain what's wrong, decently priced with a range of assistance.

I'd add a good range of sensibly-priced ladies' clothing that hopefully isn't overly pink.

Most bike shops (even Decathlon) fall flat on their faces because their range is severely limited compared to what's available for the blokes, they can be horribly expensive (my LBS is guilty of this as they only stock uber-premium stuff), and everything tends to be pink.

Dan77

The coffee shop would have to serve alcohol too and especially real ale.

I'd want it to be a place where people want to hang out.

I wonder if there would be any demand for getting a bunch of bikes hooked up to Zwift. Either 2nd hand bikes that you might want to sell, dedicated second hand bikes with no intention to sell or possibly even as it's a dream shop....go the whole hog and get 5 Wahoo Kickr bikes. Could possibly tear up a race by working together and would be much more fun than doing it alone.

Big TVs for cycling events. TdF in particular should be an occasion where the bar/coffee shop is full.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Yep really liking that. Don't know what Zwift is but as long as it's cycle related.

My LBS has a decent bike rack outside it

but I have still been told I can leave bring it inside and leave it with them rather than locking it up outside

great service

mind you - I normally end up buying something essential!!!!!

although they are so busy they normally forget what weird thing I would like to buy - I mean - if I order it from Amazon it gets delivered then
my wife might notice - if I 'happen to get it' while on the high street while getting one of her favourite pork pies
it just might disappear into a bike bag and be 'forgotten about'

or so I have heard

Dan77

My LBS has a decent bike rack outside it

but I have still been told I can leave bring it inside and leave it with them rather than locking it up outside

great service

mind you - I normally end up buying something essential!!!!!

although they are so busy they normally forget what weird thing I would like to buy - I mean - if I order it from Amazon it gets delivered then
my wife might notice - if I 'happen to get it' while on the high street while getting one of her favourite pork pies
it just might disappear into a bike bag and be 'forgotten about'

or so I have heard

Amazon locker is a thing. It was either designed for people who are likely to be out when deliveries come or for blokes hiding purchases from their missus.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Covered yard secure parking obviously. If we are having a bar you've got to have bike parking.

Dan77

I think you should literally be able to wheel the bike into the cafe where there will be a nice stand adjacent to your table to put it in.

Top Bottom