The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plenty of cyclists out there who own a car made by the prancing moose. About time we had a thread of our own to discuss the trials and tribulations of Volvo ownership, and generally pat each other on the back for driving superior cars.

So, who else drives a Volvo, and wotcher got?

screenman

Legendary Member
I have owned lots of them, but that was back when they were proper Volvo's, even had a boat once with a Volve engine, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
2009 XC90 R-Design D5 geartronic with premium pack here.

Mrs D has the 2019 (first of the 2020 model year) XC90 T8 Inscription, which is an absolute weapon, faster than a Ferrari 348, but I prefer mine - like me its manly and rugged, but the new one, nice as it is, is a bit trendy and overtly Scandinavian inside. I half expect to find someone filming a brooding police drama inside every time I climb aboard. Its expensive too - the key is clad in the same leather as the interior, which is a £185 option. Luckily, my Dad bought it for her so we didn't pay the £77,000 invoice.

Smudge

Veteran
Only ever owned one Volvo, a 240DL saloon. Bought it cheap with over 130K on the clock, but it ran sweet as and never needed anything fixing while i had it.
Only got rid because of the impracticality of a saloon.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The s40 has lots of parts marked "fomoco" (Ford Motor Co). Its a Ford Focus!

2006, no rust, no excitement, reliable so far (158,000).

I'd rather be on the bike!

Venod

Eh up
We have 2018 V40 CC T3 Auto, driven mostly by Mrs Venod, I would like a XC40 or 60 hybrid but we don't need two cars, I will have to convince her next time we change, I do like the leather interior and the general robust feel of the V40, its a bit lively as well if your that way inclined.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
After years of leasing new cars for business, I finally saw the light and decided to buy a used car with my own money.
We have a 1600Kg caravan so I needed something beefy to tow it with. I live in a hilly area 800’ above sea level, so we see snow every winter - 4WD/AWD required then.
I wanted a diesel auto estate car. I’ve had a few SUVs and fancied a change.
Not many cars ticked all my boxes. Audi A6 Allroad, Volvo XC70.
Plumped for an XC70 Se Lux, 60K miles for £14.5K. Had a tow bar fitted and never looked back.
Towed the ‘van with ease. Coped well in the snow and ice. By far the most comfortable car I’ve ever owned.
When I retired, finances required that I sold the car.
Picked up another XC70 with 130K miles for stupid low money.
Tempting fate to say, but 18 months later it’s still going great, only costing me a couple of tyres and the usual fuel & servicing. Using an independent Volvo garage, a standard service only costs around £200.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I once owned a 440 GLE, apart from the heated seats, it was one of the most unreliable cars I ever owned.
It’s put me off ever owning one again.
All the mechanical parts and electrics were Renault. Only the structure, steering, suspension and glass were Volvo. They weren't made in Sweden either. Unloved by bother the public and the Volvo cognoscenti.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
All the mechanical parts and electrics were Renault. Only the structure, steering, suspension and glass were Volvo. They weren't made in Sweden either. Unloved by bother the public and the Volvo cognoscenti.
Ahh, I think I need to rethink my opinion of Volvo then, all the issues I had were related to the Renault bits......bloody French!

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Are there any known issues with very early XC90’s, I do see a fair few for sale as spares or repairs?
Yes, they break a lot :laugh:

Seriously though, they are big, heavy, and IMHO the suspension components aren't quite up to it. Add to that the foolishness of Volvo declaring the perfectly good AW 55 autobox to be sealed for life, with predictable consequences at 110k miles+, oh, and for giggles rather frangible tensioners on the aux belt which throw that belt, which then interferes with the (indestructible) cambelt, and lunches the engine.

That said, all of the above is known, so as an eyes wide open purchase they are fine.

Ours?

2005 Euro3 S60 D5 with 165k for me (manual)
2005 Euro 3 XC 70 D5 with 184k for she (auto)

And yesterday I put a deposit on a 2012 XC 70 in SE Lux auto flavour as replacement for the old XC.

Top Bottom