The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

They did do the driveshafts, but also the splined connector in the main drivetrain, but it was always stainless steel, not alu, just badly designed in its first iteration, so they rounded off and stopped being able to send drive to the rear. Ask me how I know ^_^
Yeah the Haldex coupling it's an hydroelectric system to send the drive when required, could have sworn that the outer was aluminium but the shaft wasn't hence why it stripped it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yeah the Haldex coupling it's an hydroelectric system to send the drive when required, could have sworn that the outer was aluminium but the shaft wasn't hence why it stripped it.
The aforementioned Graham has one on his desk :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
M’first Volvo was a V50 which I loved. Not fast or sporty but a damned fine way to transport family and family stuff pretty much anywhere. Then there was a Volvo drought until 2 years ago when we got a new XC60 which is, again, a fantastic family mover (with their bikes when needed).

I’ve been lucky enough to work with Volvo and have visited their HQ in Gothenburg. They are a nice company to work with. The completely separate but equally friendly Volvo Trucks make a decent vehicle too.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well since you asked. First one, 1998 V70 2.5 10v, Phase 1 and a lovely motor. Super comfy, never yet found any seats as good. Part-ex'd against a 55 plate XC90, Ocean Race with all the toys. Loved that car, but sold to fund a house move only 18 months later. Stuck with the brand, but on a budget, so a Phase 2 V70 2.5, 2002 plate. Did the job, usual clunky auto box as was typical of the year. A promotion at work and a bonus payout led to the brand spanking 61 plate XC90, again all the bells and whistles, nice motor, but lacked the appeal of the Ocean Race I'd owned previously. In hindsight I should have gone for a fire engine red R-Design:laugh:
After that the Volvo years dried up. Health issues and a reshuffle of priorities led to a Honda Civic touring first, and then the VW T5 which I converted to a camper, and still have. Still hankered a big Volvo estate, but an oldie, so for the princely sum of £720 I collected this beast with 18 days of MOT left on it in early January

1993 240 Torslander. Not even run in, ticked over 179,000 miles on the drive home from collecting. Same family since new, has it's issues but is a nice drive, when it's running proper. With some hours spent resolving engine management issues she passed the MOT with no issues.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Always get a bit of a twinge every time I see one. Normally from the metal work keeping me together after one rearranged my right side. Have to say they must be well made as they bloody hurt.
Ooh, sorry to hear that.

They are rather well made. No occupant of an XC90 had ever died on the UK's roads since the models launch. That changed last year when someone finally bought the ranch. Volvo got so upset with this they dispatched investigators from Sweden, and within a couple of days they found the driver, rather worse for wear but actually still very much alive, so the record was actually maintained. Sven and Thor were able to return home, honour intact, to return to whipping each other with twigs in a steamy cupboard.

Even now all these years on the MK1 is still one of the highest scoring models for pedestrian safety.

@cosmicbike love your 240, a very usable classic. Is yours the 2.0, 2.1 or 2.3? They're prone to rot at the arriss end under the boot floor, and the forward sills and under the A pillar, so well worth crawling under there with something greasy/waxy come spring.

ozboz

Guru
I bought a 144 in 1984, really good car but as I needed a vehicle that could carry my tools I replaced it with a 245 and kept that up to going to Australia in 1988, my mate bought it and kept it till well into tha mid 90’s , Another mate of mine had a 246 but had no end of trouble with the Renault engine , I did always fancy a 146, but never got around to it ,

Salar

A fish out of water
We've had quite a few Volvos :-

Volvo 340 Eurobox, terrible car

Volvo 245 Estate, was a nice old classic with personal plates:rolleyes:

Volvo C30 1.6

Volvo C30 T5 2.5 in black, nice, but expensive to run

Volvo V70 D5

No doubt I'll have another one in the future. :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm thinking of selling mine if anybody knows somebody who wants a nice low mileage C30 R-Design, I'm only doing 80 miles a week which I reckon I can do by other means.

Top Bottom