The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Just to conform to stereotype, my Dad is a qualified architect but never (apart from private jobs designing extensions etc for friends) worked as one.

ozboz

Guru
Does the fact I did drive Volvo HGV’s count , mainly F10 ‘s , nice motor . a lot of the older generation of the time always gave credit the F88 s swore by them , there was also F89’s they had about 330 hp engines , both marques were superseded by F10-12’s them the F18:from memory appeared , I think the called them Globetrotters , mighty trucks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Does the fact I did drive Volvo HGV’s count , mainly F10 ‘s , nice motor . a lot of the older generation of the time always gave credit the F88 s swore by them , there was also F89’s they had about 330 hp engines , both marques were superseded by F10-12’s them the F18:from memory appeared , I think the called them Globetrotters , mighty trucks
When I did agency work for Next they always had Volvo's very nice to drive, no idea what they were but they were the easiest to drive out of 3-6 different tractor units I'd drive each week

MarkF

Guru
2010 C30 only 40K now whether you can class it as a Volvo as it's heart was designed by Ford & built by Citroen.

I didn't know that, they are good looking cars, wouldn't mind one of those seeing used prices are so low. Funny, I came across this thread only a few mins after looking at this, hmmmm.............

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912034978793?advertising-location=at_cars

About a decade ago I had a craving for a 740, we had 2 cars and m/bikes and stuff but one night pissed on Ebay I bought a dark navy blue 1988 automatic 740GL located in Spalding, I think I paid £120 for it. I caught the train down via Peterborough and drove it back home. I loved that car, it was me. It was super comfy, like driving a sofa the kids were young then and thought it went into warp drive on kick down.^_^ I think only the heater matrix went wonky in the few months I owned it. MrsF and the neighbours loathed it though and I gave in and away it went. I got pissed on Ebay again though and bought a 1998 4L Jeep Cherokee located in Lowestoft so it all turned out well in the end.:okay:

1580753278665.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I didn't know that, they are good looking cars, wouldn't mind one of those seeing used prices are so low. Funny,
Call round mine with a wedge of cash & you can drive away in one

bigjim

Legendary Member
Back in the late 70s I had a taxi business. A partnership. We ran a 1969 Volvo 144GL. Full leather, metallic paint and sunroof. That car ran 7 days a week 24 hours a day, with different drivers. Never , ever let us down. Routine servicing. never missed a beat. In 1988 I bought a 1977 245 estate, hooked it up to a caravan, loaded all the families worldy possessions and with wife and four kids in tow set off for a new life in Spain. Drove down to Malaga. Things didn't work out and 12 months later did the same journey back to the UK. Used the car for the next four years until it was stolen. It had 160k on the clock and never let me down or cost me a penny. Great cars,
I still hanker after one now, but they are a big heavy, thirsty old bus compared to my modern 2002 Yaris Verso.
Drove a lot of Volvo trucks as well over the years starting with the 88. But always preferred MAN and Mercedes.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
@cosmicbike love your 240, a very usable classic. Is yours the 2.0, 2.1 or 2.3? They're prone to rot at the arriss end under the boot floor, and the forward sills and under the A pillar, so well worth crawling under there with something greasy/waxy come spring.

A mere 1986cc, but being a late one it has (had?) over 100 horses, not that you'd know it. Anything pre-89 was very rot prone around the back end due to the design and rubbish metal, revised post this date. I will be spending some time under it soon, the NS lower suspension arm needs doing, but a job for the Summer. Along with the welding on the Capri. And the gardening (apparently..)

Top Bottom