The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then of course, there was the days of the BTCC(?), when Volvo used the 850 estate instead of the saloon

Not sure, if it was an urban myth or not, that they had a stuffed dog in the back of it for some races??
That was the days when touring cars didn't seem to take themselves too seriously:wacko:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D drove mine to work today, get some heat through it and keep the brakes clean, and left me with her spanking new version (not that I drove it anywhere). "Its a bit primitive" she declared upon her arrival back at Drago Towers. Divorce papers will be served in due course.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Then of course, there was the days of the BTCC(?), when Volvo used the 850 estate instead of the saloon

Not sure, if it was an urban myth or not, that they had a stuffed dog in the back of it for some races??
That was the days when touring cars didn't seem to take themselves too seriously:wacko:

I remember it well, only Honda have since run an estate in the BTCC (Civic Tourer). The stuffed dog was, IIRC, a publicity thing in the pits and didn't feature in the car during races. They have run the 850 BTCC car at Goodwood, complete with stuffed dog.

DRM

Guru
We had a 260 GLE estate in the early 90’s, was a total hoot to out accelerate XR3’s and such like, the look on their faces was priceless to be left for dead by a Volvo Estate! Was really comfy to go any distance in too.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ok, since the Smart went to ita new home a few weeks back I've been meaning to install my dual band ham transceiver in the Volvo. Finally installed it in the XC, and tomorrow I'll dig some coax from the shed and make a lead. I've an idea for a mount that'll bolt up to one of the roof rail mounting points. At last, a project to fill my retirement! :laugh:

kynikos

Veteran
"Its a bit primitive" she declared upon her arrival back at Drago Towers.

Being married to you I thought that's what she liked :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Neither a lover or a hater of Volvo but how do Volvo lovers see the mooted merger with Geely. If it happens, would Volvo just become a shell with Chinese engines and transmissions in them I wonder ?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I am no longer a Volvo owner :tongue:

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Only a random thought on Volvos, of which I have almost no experience...I once had to take the MDs mid 1990s estate to the garage for its service. It might have been a T5, or 850, something very expensive anyway considering it was a multinational company directors car...and I have to say I thought it was truly awful., like driving a bloody tractor.
Cast me out, thrash me, but that's my only experience of Volvos.:smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have a sneaking suspicion that the new XC 70 bus has the common (universal?) rear diff issue so it's going to the Man next weekend to check. No matter if that's the case, it's very much under warranty.

Expensive job, much more so than the same part in the Freelander 2, which has the same part, same issue, but where it's not buried behind a mini subframe that needs removed before removing the diff.

Once fixed, it's good for life. Cause? Too much pressure on the nose bearing meaning it breaks up and showers it's mates in the housing with swarf, too.

Top Bottom