The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No, mine are all naked laydees and rock bands.

Salar

A fish out of water
Not sure when that was filmed, but the modified Amazon is on a SORN with no MOT etc.. Google and DVLA are your friend.

Unless special terms apply to track days etc. I don't know.

Tend to agree that is should have been kept original though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Not sure when that was filmed, but the modified Amazon is on a SORN with no MOT etc.. Google and DVLA are your friend.

Tend to agree that is should have been kept original though.
Doesn't need a MOT

Salar

A fish out of water
I thought if a classic had been heavily modified it would need an MOT. Over to the experts :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

I thought if a classic had been heavily modified it would need an MOT. Over to the experts :smile:
Why as long as the chassis has not been modified then it doesn't need one, but logically with all his vehicles/jobs/baby he just hasn't done it, as I would have not expected it to be SORN if on the road.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not intimately familiar with it, but theres a poi t system that's used when determining if enough of a car remains for it to consider whether it should be considered the original vehicle or not. Major components such as chassis, body, engine, axles, steering components, transmission etc are awarded points, and if it's less than x amount t it can no longer be considered the original vehicle and requires an IVA (or whatever it may be called these days) and would then be awarded a new registration.

However, the rules are widely ignored and may folk make massive structural changes to install different engines and simply slap the original registration plates back on. Very commonly ignored in the LR world with restorations or modifications to chassis to make off roading specials, but it's not so much fun on those very rare occasions a VOSA roadside inspection does snare one - when I was a sad Land Rover owner someone in oir local club got done for this for his Disco, and all the done was to shorten the rear chassis overhang and shorten the body to suit, which is quite minor compared to some of these radical V8 engine transplants. Still, that's what Land Rover owners deserve for not driving a Volvo ^_^

In Martin's case his Amazon is a left hooker, so I wonder if it started life overseas and was abroad when the work was done. Then when it was imported it may have come in as-is, ie, as a one off special, and been granted an age related plate following an IVA, as there would be no original UK identity anyway. Of cours6e, he may have simply pried the number plates off a lawnmower and glued them on, and will claim when stopped that someone in a pub told him it was OK and he believed it.

Last edited:
My beloved 940 GLE was driven into by our local bus and written off. Modern V90 insurance loaner was a total space ship. Replaced by a 2001 V70 which does the job adequately but I'm struggling to feel any emotions for it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1580848163631.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580848163631.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FB_IMG_1580848120350.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580848120350.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1580848107067.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580848107067.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1580848128629.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580848128629.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 10
  • FB_IMG_1580848086814.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580848086814.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10
In Martin's case his Amazon is a left hooker, so I wonder if it started life overseas and was abroad when the work was done. Then when it was imported it may have come in as-is, ie, as a one off special, and been granted an age related plate following an IVA, as there would be no original UK identity anyway. Of cours6e, he may have simply pried the number plates off a lawnmower and glued them on, and will claim when stopped that someone in a pub told him it was OK and he believed it.

Yes it was built abroad
By an engineer who worked for Koenigsegg (??)
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/guy-martin-on-his-volvo-fastest-car-in-britain/

This is my dream Volvo: View attachment 503290
As believed by most motorcyclists 'back in the day'
Volvos (& their drivers ) were often the butt of the joke in the Ogri strip

Top Bottom