The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saturday 3rd

Leeds Cruise ‘Afternoon Out’
Heath (conservation village)
Wakefield

740SE

IMG_6080.jpeg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Oooh, that's lovely.

DRM

Guru
I think that’s a 760 with the 2.8 V6 Renault engine, it’s got a chrome grille, rather than black with chrome surround, I had a 260 GLE, Same engine, that too had a chrome grille, rather than black, iirc the 960 had the straight 6 3.0 litre from the 164 with a different cylinder head

I think that’s a 760 with the 2.8 V6 Renault engine, it’s got a chrome grille, rather than black with chrome surround, I had a 260 GLE, Same engine, that too had a chrome grille, rather than black, iirc the 960 had the straight 6 3.0 litre from the 164 with a different cylinder head
I bow to your knowledge, I didn't look at the badging

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's actually a PRV engine, made by the PRV Company, a joint effort between Peugeot, Renault and Volvo who owned equal shares in the concern. The PRV Company had its own factory in Douvrin, France, and were independent of any of its owners brands.

It's origins go back to the Company Francais De Mechanique, a joint engine effort between Peugeot and Renault in the late 60s which ultimately came to nothing on its own. PRV were initially intending to make a compact V8, but for all sorts of reasons the idea was dropped. Nevertheless, certain aspects of the original V8 design such as the 90° V can still be found d in the V6.

Interestingly, Renault sold less PRV equipped cars than its partners, Volvo the most, the latter being helped by being the only one of the three manufacturers with a constant full-scale sales set up in the US. Volvo were also the first of the three to bring a PRV powered car to market with the 264.

Interesting snippet - my Mum's feller is a wealthy car nut (he has a real 427 Cobra, a Z28 Camaro, and his daily drive is a Grandada) and his collection includes a Renault 25 turbo with uses a de-bored and turbo'd 2.5 litre version of the PRV.

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
Due to my second job commute being motorway heavy(often clear thankfully) and due to the weather being nice I’ve rode a lot, the lying Tory of a trio computer now reads 45mpg and is steadily rising….I’m sure that would improve if I kept the tyre pressure at optimum and washed it to make it slightly slicker through the air….for a brick.🫣🤣

Jameshow

Veteran

The 960 has the then new modular engine block that became the T5 / T6 engine of the v70 etc and into ford focus st etc.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The 960 has the then new modular engine block that became the T5 / T6 engine of the v70 etc and into ford focus st etc.

Was the T6 block a derivative of the T5 then (or t'other way round)? That's a thing I didn't know

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The C70 vert, or Roger as he is now known, is nigh on flawless aside from one little dent about the size of a 2p piece.

But fear not!

The local paintless dent repair man is coming on Monday to sort it. £100+ VAT, or an even one-er for cash. So cash it is!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
XC90s decent motors ? The newer models may come into my budget it now ? Saw them when they first out and liked the look of them , but way over my price limit then .

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
We've had the old and new models and loved both.

Barring 1 x cracked ABS ring (£130 for a dealer repair) the mk1 went to 150k miles in our family ownership needing zero attention outside of servicing and consumables.

We didn't have the mk2 so long, but had no issues with that. My Dad bought himself an identical one at the same time and 3 years in he's had zero issues. They aren't cheap to run though, although the diesels aren't bad on fuel and the plug in hybrid versions are very miserly if used properly.

Avoid early petrol ones prior to 2018, big issues with a piston oil control ring fault and they can get develop a serious thirst for oil as they approach 100k.

Ditto early T8s had issues with the electric rear transaxle failing and it is hyper expensive sive to replace, but the problem was sorted from 2018 on.

Other than that no major recurring faults on the model.

Top Bottom