The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I don't know much about the '60 I'm afraid.

Their bonnets dent rather easily when hit by tree branches on the motorway.

Jameshow

Veteran
XC60 similar ? Slightly smaller ? Same reliability I assume ?

Will be the same running gear as the xc90 I expect do pretty reliable.

My sister has one and has no probs with it.

The MK1 was a smaller version of the xc90 but the ride wasn't as good.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
XC70s of all generations are splendid beasts indeed. The downside is that there is no real modern equivalent and as their splendidness is well known they are very sought after. You'll get an XC60 or 90 of equivalent age, condition and mileage for an easy third less than you likely would an XC70. Indeed, the original P80 based V70XC is quite rare and collectable among the Brick community.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We were very lucky/someone bought well (Mrs/My perspectives...) with our latest. Got a good car at a great price not long before lockdown - and chopped in our previous-gen one which had a failing front diff. - spendy repair, even from Breakers. Just looked it up and it's not been MOT'd after its last one at 189K in late 21, so I think it's deaded.
New one's a stripling of 148K miles.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ordered some new Randolph Engineering sunnies so I look the part with the roof down, a sort of taller, balder, beardier Tom Cruise.

Hicky

Guru
XC70 doing it’s duties…I could of washed it🫣

IMG_2380.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Our 4-month old XC40, recently involved in a head-on accident, has been written off. 🙁

A replacement is already on order - from available stock so not the colour we would choose (black) but a higher spec level. The main issue is getting a towbar fitted, apparently there’s a 4-5 week delay in getting the hardware from Volvo.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The Volvo did its job today, with distinction. My wife was taking the kids to school, car coming the other way saw queuing traffic at the last minute, braked and swerved right, hitting the car in front then crossing into my wife’s path for a ~60mph combined speed head-on impact. The Volvo did everything right - emergency braked, deployed selected airbags, set the hazard warning lights and called the emergency services. Wife and kids shaken but not a mark on any of them. The other driver was OK too. However his car came off second best.

View attachment 691364

View attachment 691365

So, the car was a total loss and the third party’s insurance have paid up a decent amount. In the mean time they provided a Hyundai Tucson as a courtesy car whilst my wife scrabbled around to find a replacement Volvo. We needed it in a hurry to be ready to tow our caravan on holiday yesterday and as luck would have it there was a new-from-stock XC40 available; we received it last weekend compete with towbar and it brought us and the ‘van to Cornwall yesterday.

It’s a top-spec one, so better than the one we lost although sports a full black-out look and eminently curbable 19” wheels. Volvo have dropped AWD completely so it’s a FWD but is the same B4 mild hybrid setup as the old one.
IMG_4702.jpeg

Top Bottom