The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saturday 30th

IMG_8612.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
Saw it again this evening

It’s a

View attachment 716007

Volvo 850 saloon.

Then became the S70.

Hicky

Guru
Calling all Volvo fanatics....the inlaws are looking at a V40 cross country D2 1.6.
What are peoples opinions? I've suggested going for the V40(lower premium pricetag)....I wonder about the rear leg room though.
Tax and MPG look good, it's Volvo obvs...they do minimal miles anyway and are coming from a Fiat 500L.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Its a Peugeot/Ford engine. Get the same motor in something else for half the price like wot I did.

They're actually not bad units and by the time Volvo were using them they were well sorted, but they don't tolerate abuse or poor/missed servicing. If you go for it find one with an anally precise service history.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A family member has been using a XC40 T4 recharge for the last couple of weeks, looks nice enough.
Woeful hybrid only range and re charge times.
Now considering going fully electric

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
They've bought the V40 cross country, both happy and are due to pic it up on Saturday....I doubt they'll join the Volvo owners club however they're very happy :smile:

Hicky

Guru
Did they buy the rare 4wd version?

Not to the best of my knowledge , the top of the range D2 model I believe. It is a very nice car judging by the pictures and the service history, I shall see it soon. They live in Sunny Runcorn and the most adventurous thing they do is to drive to Rochdale....4WD would help considering our potholes:laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Took the front indicators off the C70 to very carefully dismantle and clean them. It has the rare "US" type crystal indicators, and unlike the earlier sort they're not available new anymore.

They're now sorted and on the radiator in the living room while the glue dries. Meanwhile I've inserted my hand jn the resulting hole (oo-er Matron!) to spray some Buzzweld lanolin chassis guard between inner and outer wings.

Poly bush ordered for top engine mount this morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Good question.

I expect its stiffer. However, I replaced the corresponding item on my XC90 with similar and didn't suffer any undue cabin vibration from the rumbly old D5, so I'm not expecting any issues on the smoother petrol unit.

Had to do something as the old one was starting to tear, and poly should outlast me.

Top Bottom