The Water Tower baggers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This excellent thread reminds me of the work of my favourite artist/photographers Bernd and Hilla Becher Water Towers - fellow enthusiasts check it out!

I don't know if you can call this bagged. It's the Water tower at Thrapston; it was quite clear by eye but less so with my camera.
20230730_120022.jpg

20230730_120017.jpg

This one at Denford Ash is definitely bagged 👍

20230730_114534.jpg

20230730_114741.jpg

20230730_114757.jpg

1690733658223.png

The 'House in the Clouds' in Thorpeness on the edge of the golf course. It was built as a water tower in 1923 and disguised from the very start so as to match the mock-Tudor village. The water tank was removed over 40 years ago and the House is now rentable via AirBnB. It celebrated its centenary in February.

I pass the House often enough but cannot strictly claim that it is a water tower.

The picture is from the BBC, as it would be much better than mine (& it's too grey and wet to ride today!)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
View attachment 700844

The 'House in the Clouds' in Thorpeness on the edge of the golf course. It was built as a water tower in 1923 and disguised from the very start so as to match the mock-Tudor village. The water tank was removed over 40 years ago and the House is now rentable via AirBnB. It celebrated its centenary in February.

I pass the House often enough but cannot strictly claim that it is a water tower.

The picture is from the BBC, as it would be much better than mine (& it's too grey and wet to ride today!)

Disguised?

No water tower here. Just an ordinary house. OK, an ordinary house that's slightly higher than most. But definitely no water tower.

Datum2

Über Member
Ahh, a Braithwaite Tower. Unmistakeable - ! ^_^

Straight into google to look that up!
Indeed a company with a long history of manufacturing and exporting. Thanks for the manufacturers name 👍

simongt

Guru
Yup. The considerable advantage of the Braithwaite system that it was based on cast iron; later steel panels so a tank could be built to pretty much any capacity simply by bolting the requisite number of panels together. :okay: Also very common on the British railway networks as the water tank of choice. :smile:

Top Bottom