The Water Tower baggers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Okay, I'm in for this. :whistle:
This is my first contribution (an absolutely lousy photo, I know, but there are two in shot, with the bonus of a bike-in-front-of-no-parking sign.) I specifically cycled out yesterday to get this photo - on Patsy #3 The Hybrid - just to join in the fun.
Rushmere 1 & 2 Off Tuddenham Lane, North Ipswich.
Rushmere 1 & 2 (2).JPG

We walked past this several times in April, last year, when we stayed in the 'Little Tin Chapel', on Whipcord Lane, opposite Telfords Warehouse
(Shropshire Union Canal)

There's two similar ones that I pass on a semi-regular basis;
1. It's in a triangle created by the villages of Hickleton, Brodsworth & Hooton Pagnell
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/584083
Although 'H-P' is arguably a town, as it was granted a market charter in 1253
(it's also a simply marvellous place, known as The Cotswolds Of The Coal-Fields, as it looks so out of place in South Yorkshire!)

2. Woolley Edge, at the top of 'Haigh Bank'
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2800211
The OS map below the photograph shows the location, with jct 38/'The Old Post Office' to the south

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
All of you have missed a biggie ... literally. Gawthorpe water tower (Ossett), just near where they run the World Coal Carrying Championship that @Drago could do on Easter Monday now he's running again.

PXL_20220109_123046227.jpg

And that's the end of my contributions :whistle:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Here's one that's under a mile from me and a local landmark which almost anyone who's been to Felixstowe would have seen - the Trimley Water Tower pictured this afternoon. Apparently the tallest open leg tower at 210ft, and long since out of use having been replaced with underground storage. It should have been pulled down years ago as pieces keep falling off (the netting was a failed attempt to limit the damage), but it seems that the rental received from hosting all the arials exceeds the cost of repairs. There's new housing being built almost up to the base at the moment, so its future may be in doubt.
Trimley Water Tower (2).jpg

Another one for @Jon George to hunt down is the partially clad Rushmere St. Andrew water tower (pictured below in 2020), but it took me some time to find the right combination of tracks & paths to get to it
Rushmere St. Andrew Water Tower.JPG

I've also got pictures of towers in Gissing, Kenninghall, Hollesley & Rendlesham from the past few years if you're desperate enough to see them :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom