The Water Tower baggers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Architecture article on the conversionI have quite a few photos of water towers from bike rides as it transpires.
One from August 2021 (King's Lynn - Great Massingham Loop) near Castle Acre.
Converted to living accomodation, I'd read about it in a magazine a couple of weeks beforehand; completely forgotten about it, so was very surprised to recognise this on the horizon!

PXL_20210811_110703563.jpg
PXL_20210811_111110514.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know anything about plumbing. Presumably there was a time when water towers were a necessary part of the infrastructure, but they have been made obsolete by the introduction of something or other. This is why old ones exist and ate being turned into residences.

What technology overtook them? When? Presumably some kind of high(er) pressure pumping?

Or are a lot of them still in use?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I don't know anything about plumbing. Presumably there was a time when water towers were a necessary part of the infrastructure, but they have been made obsolete by the introduction of something or other. This is why old ones exist and ate being turned into residences.

What technology overtook them? When? Presumably some kind of high(er) pressure pumping?

Or are a lot of them still in use?
The Trimley water tower I pictured on the previous page has been replaced with massive underground storage tanks (Google image link) due to the requirements of a growing population

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
High pressure water mains.

In days of old water would be pumped from the ground or a local warercourse, often powered by a wild west style windmill, and used to fill a water tower. The water tower would smooth out the supply as the demand fluctuated, and provided some water pressure.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
That Grand Designs one looks like several brick towers I’ve seen; they all appear to have a similar build date, around 1867ish. Jumbo of Colchester is the biggest, others in Friday Bridge and Saffron Walden. I meant to found out if it was the same architect and builders for all of them. Will find out, and dig out the photos too.

Architecture article on the conversionI have quite a few photos of water towers from bike rides as it transpires.
One from August 2021 (King's Lynn - Great Massingham Loop) near Castle Acre.
Converted to living accomodation, I'd read about it in a magazine a couple of weeks beforehand; completely forgotten about it, so was very surprised to recognise this on the horizon!

View attachment 626318 View attachment 626319
Off-topic, but some big money in these 'utility conversions' .... 3 bed penthouse at Kings cross (gas tower) £7.4 million :wacko:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I sometimes find myself at a loss in terms of a target for a ride, meaning I just repeat known ones. This thread inspired me to go and bag a water tower I used to live near. If you have driven east along the M4 past Reading on a clear day you’ll have seen this from miles away.
70033352-C8BF-4959-9361-4B4B21037808.jpeg

48D4C670-6007-446B-8ECE-F669C50D4EC1.jpeg

And right next door…
31AED23C-69BE-4DFD-A390-20F553BF0DA7.jpeg

And then just over a mile away, still in Tilehurst…
AC9BDD1C-32FE-4A2E-926A-2D748370A2C4.jpeg

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I sometimes find myself at a loss in terms of a target for a ride, meaning I just repeat known ones. This thread inspired me to go and bag a water tower I used to live near. If you have driven east along the M4 past Reading on a clear day you’ll have seen this from miles away.
View attachment 626691

View attachment 626692

And right next door…
View attachment 626693

And then just over a mile away, still in Tilehurst…
View attachment 626694
The Tilehurst brick tower is an interesting design, I'm guessing that's been converted to living space.

Top Bottom