The weak point of Ortlieb Office bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CasualCruiser

Hi Forum :smile:
I have had my trusty old Ortlieb Officebag since .. well, around 2010. I use it every day in all weather conditions, and the durability is simply incredible.
Except for the - I don't now the correct term - "snappers", that are used to close the bag. They are made of plastic, with four thin "hooks" (2 by 2) that click into the two plastichousings attached to each end (front/rear) of the bag.
These hooks have started to break of, one at a time. First one in one end, then one in the other; and now finally the second in one end, leaving me unable to close the bag properly in that end.
Both the "snappers" and the corresponding housings are sewed to straps sewed to the bag, meaning that it seems impossible to replace them and repair the bag. Also the snappers do no appear on the list of Ortlieb replacement parts. The result is that it seems my only option is to replace the whole bag, even though the rest of the bag is in perfect condition after 8+ years of usage.
I really made this post just to cry a little, but also to hear if anybody had the same experience, and if there is a known way to repair the bag?
Kind regards from Denmark (land of rain)

the snail

Guru
I think what you want are 'buckles'?
https://www.ortlieb.com/en/ersatzteile-verschluesse/
looks like you have to sew them to the straps though, although it would probably be economical to pay someone do do it if your needlework skills aren't up to it?

Bodhbh

Guru
I think what you want are 'buckles'?
https://www.ortlieb.com/en/ersatzteile-verschluesse/
looks like you have to sew them to the straps though, although it would probably be economical to pay someone do do it if your needlework skills aren't up to it?

I'm not familar with that particular Ortlieb bag, but it's a 10min job even for with someone with almost 0 needlework skills* to sew on a buckle or join 2 pieces of Ortlieb strapping. The straps on my 10yr old Ortlieb sport packers have started going 1 by 1 and I've sewn em up with dental floss.

* schoolboy Home Economics lessons circa the 1980s.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My Ortlieb customer service experience has been very good. I would have thought that if you simply contact them they will provide either part numbers or the buckles themselves without any fuss.

OP
OP
C

CasualCruiser

Thank you so very much, @the snail and @Bodhbh that is exactly what I am looking for! Funny that those buckles are not presented as "spare parts", I did not have the intelligence to locate them on the Ortlieb site.
Now I just need to find somewhere to buy those; and some flowers for my wife (she is the one with the sewing skills).
Kind regards, and thank you again.

Top Bottom