The White Handlebar tape disaster, turns into a winner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I thought it would be a good idea to put some white handlebar tape on my bike for the summer, so a few weeks ago I purchased some nice white tape and wrapped it on the bars.

I do a lot of daily bike maintenance fettling, I honestly believe that there can never be too much oil and grease on a bike's moving parts, so obviously after a few weeks, my white handlebar tape is now black with oil, dirt and grease marks from over indulging in fettling.

In an effort to address the dilemma, I got some black handlebar tape and double wrapped it over the white handlebar tape.

Hey presto, nice spongy, double wrapped, handlebars, that absorb some of the road vibrations and hides the grubby looking white handlebar tape. A real winning combination..........

^_^

rugby bloke

Veteran
All goes to show, there is always a positive to be found in every situation !

I bought some FSA bar tape, for my last change of bar tape. It's almost as good as 'top of the shop' cork tape, but cost a lot less, it's as comfy as a lot of double wrapped bar tapes I've used previously.

migrantwing

Veteran
I bought some FSA bar tape, for my last change of bar tape. It's almost as good as 'top of the shop' cork tape, but cost a lot less, it's as comfy as a lot of double wrapped bar tapes I've used previously.

Same stuff as I use. Cheap and bluddy good!

Mike_P

Guru
Too hot for a bike ride tonight so giving the bikes some possibly much needed attention for a change and one had white handlebar tape that was looking really mucky, splattered with small red spots as well as general grime, - tried the usual tricks and nothing seemed to be working that good and then tried some Sticky Stuff Remover - amazingly fast result.

Last edited:
Top Bottom