The 'Why' thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yesterday my mum wanted to know my son's A level results.

It was a triple snub, because
a) she didn't ask my son directly
b) she didn't speak to me at all (instead messaging my wife)
c) she was a year early!!!

Why are my folks so terrible at communication?

Delay we pay is heavily advertised on our route and at our main stations. However the northern rail and Arriva executives have a good wheeze to get out of paying. They repay with a paper voucher straight out of the 50s! The only way to redeem is to go to a manned ticket office with someone who knows what it is! Seriously most stations round here have no staff. The one that does the staff don't always recognise what the voucher is.

Basically if at claim for late or cancelled trains we have to travel to a main station to redeem it for the next journey we make. In my partner's case that would mean getting a ticket for a future day she when she will be going to work. That's not often possible as her in office days might be planned after her last train journey to a manned station. Basically she rarely gets to redeem those vouchers.

One workaround is to buy tickets from trainline website. You pay a booking fee so tickets cost a little more but with the level of train cancellations and delays the extra cost could be covered by the online claim system with direct card repayments. We're running on cancellation and delays every day on our route.

TOCs are pretty poor here. That's an understatement!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Delay we pay is heavily advertised on our route and at our main stations. However the northern rail and Arriva executives have a good wheeze to get out of paying. They repay with a paper voucher straight out of the 50s! The only way to redeem is to go to a manned ticket office with someone who knows what it is! Seriously most stations round here have no staff. The one that does the staff don't always recognise what the voucher is.

Basically if at claim for late or cancelled trains we have to travel to a main station to redeem it for the next journey we make. In my partner's case that would mean getting a ticket for a future day she when she will be going to work. That's not often possible as her in office days might be planned after her last train journey to a manned station. Basically she rarely gets to redeem those vouchers.

One workaround is to buy tickets from trainline website. You pay a booking fee so tickets cost a little more but with the level of train cancellations and delays the extra cost could be covered by the online claim system with direct card repayments. We're running on cancellation and delays every day on our route.

I've got several train companies apps on my phone. I now book all my journeys through LNER, you get rewards for each journey booked which accumulate and can be used against the cost of your tickets. You also get promotions such as the recent free sausage roll/ Vegan sausage roll. Tickets for any journey can be booked, even routes not covered by LNER and you still receive the benefits.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

I submitted a delay repay claim with Northern Rail a couple of months ago and got a refund direct to my bank account - all £1 of it. No vouchers.

Qué?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why don't we have H & C carved into taps these days? Now it seems the teensiest bit of red or blue dots that wear-out. Maybe less of an issue for those folks at home - but a bloody nightmare elsewhere - like hotels, even our new Caravan has illegible tappage yo have to waste carried water to figure out whether you're gonna get hot or cold water.

Don't get me started on hotel shower controls.....

Top Bottom