The 'Why' thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Why the knife and fork for a muffin? Poncy coffee shop or what.
View attachment 702480

Why do cafes present a slice of cake or traybake on a napkin, on the plate?

Going back to the attic - I had to clear out my wife's attic after she moved in here

Her son helped me

ALl sorts of carp
Including an very old wooden TV unit - complete with TV - massively too big to have come up through the hatch into the loft

Also a large cardboard box from a computer monitor that he had put there when he was a teenager

Neither would get anywhere near to going down through the hatch
The TV was heavy so we left it where it was - but the box was light and we spent FAR longer than was necessary trying to find a way to get it down
No Way - and yet he had got it up there intact and it had never been bent in any way

before anyone asks - the loft hatch was built with the house - never been changed - we could check with her Mum's house and some neighbours - and in any case given it's position (inside a cupboard) it couldn;t be made bigger.

SO - not only WHY store such a massive heavy TV at teh far end of a loft - but also HOW???

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Why do cafes present a slice of cake or traybake on a napkin, on the plate?

It saves them washing the plates

Why do regular cancelled trains or very late trains or trains with faults or trains without staff to run them, etc not result in the bosses running the franchise getting a personal sanction?

Sorry but every day Northern cancel trains on my route or they're running late so they skip a load of stations to operate as an express. It's a real joke right now. Why are they protected?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Why do regular cancelled trains or very late trains or trains with faults or trains without staff to run them, etc not result in the bosses running the franchise getting a personal sanction?

Sorry but every day Northern cancel trains on my route or they're running late so they skip a load of stations to operate as an express. It's a real joke right now. Why are they protected?

I suppose there's no real penalty for running a rubbish service as the Train Operating Companies are getting massive subsidies from the Government, more in fact in real terms than when the railways were in Public ownership. That's part of the reason why there's no incentive to negotiate in good faith with the Rail inions, they're in a " no lose " situation.

I suppose there's no real penalty for running a rubbish service as the Train Operating Companies are getting massive subsidies from the Government, more in fact in real terms than when the railways were in Public ownership. That's part of the reason why there's no incentive to negotiate in good faith with the Rail inions, they're in a " no lose " situation.

There was a fuss some time ago when they realised that train companies were running a train until it was a station or two from the end of its route - then kicking everyone off and telling them to wait
The train then carried on empty
As a result it was counted as cancelled rathre than late which resulted in less financial penalty

The problem with regulations is that the organisation that is regulated looks for clever ways around the regulations - and for a very big organisation where a lot of money is involved it is worth them employing very clever people to do this

Tenkaykev

Guru
There was a fuss some time ago when they realised that train companies were running a train until it was a station or two from the end of its route - then kicking everyone off and telling them to wait
The train then carried on empty
As a result it was counted as cancelled rathre than late which resulted in less financial penalty

The problem with regulations is that the organisation that is regulated looks for clever ways around the regulations - and for a very big organisation where a lot of money is involved it is worth them employing very clever people to do this

We've been travelling by train a lot recently due to family circumstances. There's " Delay Repay " which refunds a percentage of the ticket cost depending on how late you arrive at your destination. Some of the train companies actively encourage people to claim, we even had the train manager using the tannoy to encourage people to do so. When we cross London we allow extra time as we sometimes walk between Waterloo and Kings Cross. On one occasion the train was late into London but we still arrived on time in Leeds, on another occasion we arrived in Edinburgh 61 minutes late and received a full refund on our tickets.

simongt

Guru
The GLW travelled by train up to Dundee on Wednesday.
Why do some groups of folk on trains have to talk so loudly to each other when they're at the same set of seats that the conversation can be heard halfway down the carriage - ? :wacko:

Top Bottom