The WIMPS ... A Trans Pennine Trail Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Any recommended campsites in the Selby area or anyone with a patch of grass for our tent for the first night ... if starting in Hornsea ?

3 miles outside of Hornsea & may have a little patch of grass available. PM me if you're want to stay over :okay:

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
We will only make our decision about which way we travel the day before .... planned for either route .. all wind dependant ...

All you missed was a long stretch of flat disused railway line.

Hardly flat, somewhere around switch island on the cheshire lines (I think) I encountered 'a puddle'* that got into all three axles** and soaked both feet as the puddle being 10-12 foot long** took a bit of getting through. I wouldn't let my worst enemy do the TPT, not even on full sus MTB with full mudguards and disc brakes.

* top of the puddle was only flat thing...
**killed both wheel's bearings, though the rims died anyway as the brake tracks had had it from the pad wear from the grit paths around Manchester - those with all the damn anti motorbike gates, but as it was 2013 they may be super smooth tarmac with pannier/trike wide gates now, I bet even all the burnt out cars/scramblers have probably gone as well***
*** unlike TPT between Aintree and Halewood :ohmy:

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
So according to the BBC weather forecast we will be riding from Southport to Hornsea ... at the end of day 1 we will be in the Lymm / Altrincham / Sale area.
Any campsites, gardens, sheds or garages available for 2 guys to kip in while on our way East ?? Not too far from the TPT ... :smile:

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
My word of advice - there's nowhere directly on the route to stop for a bite to eat, at least between Southport and South Manchester. I kind of assumed there would be when I did it a few years ago, and had the worst bonk of my life.

Fnarr

Au contraire! Just north of my house (We back onto the TPT, just before it goes under the M62, about 20 miles from Southport), there is a Sainsburys with a gate literally onto the path, and just south of us (if you take the exit that is right underneath the motorway) there is a pub that does reasonable meals. Going south from me, in about 15 miles you are in @widnesebiker 's neck of the woods I think, so maybe he can suggest something down that way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plenty of food opportunities from Chorlton Water Park through to Gee Cross within a mile of the TPT - yes you've got to come off the trail, but within a mile. Planning stops is the best option.

Not forgetting the excellent coffee hut place near Chorlton Water Park on the river !

irw

Quadricyclist
Oh, I've just thought - there is a nice pub in Hale Village, which you'd get to shortly after passing by liverpool airport.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
We ..l we’re being picked up at 0600hrs tomorrow morning to be dropped off about 0800hrs at Southport ... tailwind and sunshine beckon .. currently we’ll be sleeping in a hedge somewhere but at least it will be a warm hedge ,,lol

Top Bottom