The wonder potato

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
One of our young things who is a bit handy on a bike and vegan takes roast spuds on his rides. He has also posted a ride on YouTube where he took along a piping bag of cookie dough to fuel his ride. Apart from audax he goes 24 hour TTing for a laugh.

i like the idea of roast potatoes, nice and easy to carry too in a jersey pocket 👍

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
He has also posted a ride on YouTube where he took along a piping bag of cookie dough to fuel his ride.
Aren’t raw potatoes going to make you ill? Is it that we can’t process the raw starch or something?
Well, I wouldn't do it, but if your pal eats raw dough without ill effects, probably raw potatoes are OK too.
Still, I would guess it takes a lot of stomach work to digest both foods.
Would that not make you very tired on the ride, instead of very energetic?

classic33

Leg End Member
"It is estimated that it would take 2–5mg per kilogram of body weight to produce toxic symptoms. A large potato weighs about 300g and has a solanine content of less than 0.2mg/gm That works out to around 0.03mg per kilogram for an adult, a hundredth of the toxic dose; A murderous wife would have to feed something like 67 large potatoes to her husband in a single meal to poison him."

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
No idea! I was surprised that a scientific article didn’t specify if the potato was cooked or not.
That's just the abstract, the full article has the recipe and everything. It's baked potato mashed up with water and table salt to resemble the consistency of a gel. The problem I can see is that the portion sizes were normalised to carbohydrate content so they had to eat five times as much potato as they did gel, which is less convenient.

Potato protein content is very low - it's the carbohydrate load that they're testing.

Does anybody know if carrying cooked potato around on a warm day would be as unwise as it is with rice?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That's just the abstract, the full article has the recipe and everything. It's baked potato mashed up with water and table salt to resemble the consistency of a gel. The problem I can see is that the portion sizes were normalised to carbohydrate content so they had to eat five times as much potato as they did gel, which is less convenient.

Potato protein content is very low - it's the carbohydrate load that they're testing.
What Carb was the gel based on? On a dry matter basis they should be similar is. What was the extra bulk that meant 5x the consumption requirement? Am assuming is the swelling of the native starch granules and their ability to hold water, or is it the fibre? Maybe I should be arsed to read it!

Regarding cooking to remove solanine toxin, some people seem to be more sensitive to this chemical. I for one can't stand undercooked potatoes. I find typical fish n chip shop chips to be almost raw in the middle. I always cook for longer than advised and my roast pots are well liked by everyone.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What Carb was the gel based on? On a dry matter basis they should be similar is. What was the extra bulk that meant 5x the consumption requirement? Am assuming is the swelling of the native starch granules and their ability to hold water, or is it the fibre? Maybe I should be arsed to read it!
I'm not going to read it for you, I've got a biochemistry exam to get to, and it's not quite relevant enough to count as revision...

U

User169

Prolly easier to carry a few gels than a kilo of spuds! The authors also measured an increase in abdominal discomfort and bloating with potato.

Having said that, I did once bump into a dutch friend on a sportief who produced a bag of cooked potatoes - utterly delish in the circumstances and made a welcome change from all the sweet stuff you get fed on those kind of rides.

Top Bottom