The worst bike ever made or that you have owned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

You say that about Grifters Shaun, but mine got dog's abuse for some years, all year round, and they never saw a bike shop. The most TLC they ever saw was a puncture repair by Dad. Yet I never remember them needing attention.

You never snapped the linkage for the gears or had the saddle disintegrate ?

You sure it was a Grifter?

image.jpeg
I had something similar to this when I was about 12 or 13. Weighed as much as a small planet but handy for all my fishing gear, plus it was indestructible

BorderReiver

Veteran
Puch Sports 10 in the early '80s. The 10 part was right (a huge 10 gears!) but the sports part wasn't. Came from Makro Cash and Carry. It's only redeeming features were that it was red (and we all know red bikes are at least 10% faster than other colours) and had twice as many gears as the Puch Prince which it replaced. It was made out of gas pipe and had gear leavers on the stem- not indexed of course- which were in just the right place to cause maximum pain if you had an off. Also those weird little six inch long mudguards that were all the rage in the late '70s. Even they were made of steel for maximum weight. With steel rims and brake calipers made of toffee it was a "challenging" ride around the hills of the Lake District. Interestingly, even with a bottom gear of 42x21 and a weight of about 30 Lbs, I don't remember my 12 year old self walking up any hills. But that could just be my memory going....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A Viking Targa DD24 which I bought for £10 but had hardly been used beforehand. It was heavy, slow and basically a piece of cheap junk apart from they disc brakes. Which it didn't need because the bike never got over 10mph unless downhill. It steered vaguely, clunked along slowly and the saddle was a very weird shape. For some reason I did over 100 miles before dismantling it.

B0519.jpg

I tried giving the frameset and wheels away on here but understandably no-one wanted it.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
You say that about Grifters Shaun, but mine got dog's abuse for some years, all year round, and they never saw a bike shop. The most TLC they ever saw was a puncture repair by Dad. Yet I never remember them needing attention.
(Maybe it's nostalgia clouding my judgement and maybe my dad was working on fixing it every night when I was in bed!)

I went to the launch of the Grifter, Raleigh reps riding about the stage on them in suits..........blimey they looked peed off :smile:

It was the very early Grifters that were thrown together, not sure the people on the production line had been told how to put them together :biggrin:

Shaun

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
@midlife
My first would have been in about 1979 so maybe the quality improved. I think I probably had a mk2 as it was silver, and I believe that the early ones only came in red or blue? Not sure. I remember a black special edition in about 1982 which was nice. To me it was anyway!

doginabag

Ok, so i didn't actually own it. But still, the worst £2 I have ever spent.

article-2051001-0B2BF8B3000005DC-970_468x302.jpg

The worst I owned was a Raleigh mountain bike when I was a kid, around '92 I think. Apparently it was the first Raleigh with front suspension fork, not sure how much truth there was in that, the adjustment did sod all and the frame looked like it had been painted with hamerite.

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 144002 I had something similar to this when I was about 12 or 13. Weighed as much as a small planet but handy for all my fishing gear, plus it was indestructible

When I left school I worked at the local fruit and veg shop, part of the job involved delivering and collecting fruit and veg on a bike like that. I had some great fun on it. At one point I upset the shop manageress, I nearly crashed it on a steep downhill through a series of bends because the brakes had stopped working, I rode it straight to the LBS to have the brakes fixed then walked into the shop and told her the bike was being fixed.

D

Deleted member 1258

Its strange how this works, the worse bike I had was actually a good bike. As a young fella with a growing family and a hefty mortgage I either built my bikes from bits or brought them from newspaper adds/ shop window adds. At one point I did a lot of overtime and saved enough to build up a bike on a new frame, 12 speed on a 531 frame, it looked lovely, but I couldn't get on with it. I never worked out why but It was never right for me and I struggled on it for the two years I rode it.. eventually a club mate of mine was selling a Dawes frame and I brought it then swapped the components off the Bromidge onto the Dawes and rode the Dawes for years and had some great rides on it. The local plumber had the Bromidge frame in part payment for a central heating repair.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not mine but a buddy once bought his GF a supermarket special for £99, "just for her to mess around on, you know...." then asked me to sort out the brakes. I've been bodging bikes for about 50 years but I was unable to adjust the brake blocks to meet the rims correctly; the components were so shoot that you just couldn't get it right and I was forced to give it up as a bad job.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Giant Cypress-weighed too much, rode like crap. Test riding didn't show off the bad characteristics, but it was a dud for sure. I was offered good money for it, and I took it to pay the bills during the financial meltdown/great depression/economic crisis. Once you own a really good bicycle, a lot of the others seem like crap bicycles.

Top Bottom