The Worst Frame Warranty Ever ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
You missed the point where the warranty is made void, for instance, if you replace an inner tube.

Not surprising he missed that part, since it doesn't quite exist.

It doesn't say "replacement" it says "modification". So taking it to an extreme, patching a puncture could invalidate it, but not replacing the tube.

I'm not at all sure whether they would class an inner tube as a "component" or as a "part" anyhow, so it isn't clear (reading the whole page) whether such a thing could cause claims to be excluded.

Later they say it doesn't cover "Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the frameset or bicycle as sold".

So it is clear you can "install" (as opposed to "modify") parts or components so long as they are compatible with the frameset or bicycle. And no reference to modification of parts (but also nothing to say what distinguishes a "component" from a "part").

Alex321

Veteran
It always amuses me when the last line of a warranty says "This warranty does not affect your statutory rights".

If it doesn't, then all is doing is enumerating those rights. If it gives you anything more than the statutory rights you would have without it, then it is increasing those rights, because manufacturer warranties have had legal force for a fair number of years now. "Affect" doesn't just mean "reduce".

You missed the point where the warranty is made void, for instance, if you replace an inner tube.

I don't read it like that - although if you replaced an inner tube badly which in some way resulted in a crash that damaged the frame then that would not be unreasonable

As far lifetime warranties as concerned - there does seem to be an ability to restrict it legally - so when it says lifetime - it doesn;t mean the rest of the life of the person who bought it
Just a reasonable lifetime for the product

Although some companies seem to take a more honourable view - I used to know a bloke who did a lot of serious walking. AFter many years service - including carrying a lot of weight over many many miles of rough round - his backpack developed a fault. He decided to be cheeky and wrote to them with photos - and received a new equivalent in the post a few weeks later.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
IMO - this upfront is a very poor warranty. That said would a frame promising a lifetime warranty be any different. !!!!!!

Seevio

Guru
I was always confused by Cannondales 'lifetime of original owner' warranty on their frames, so if you buy secondhand warranty is void?

This makes it sound likes it depends on whether the original owner is alive or not. If you bought a Cannondale from new, It might be worth not selling it to avoid the Cannondale hit squad coming round to "void" the warranty for the new owner.

Cannondale's says this:
Every bicycle has a useful product lifespan. This limited warranty is not meant to suggest or imply that the frame or components can never be broken or will last forever. This limited warranty covers manufacturing defects that occur within the normal lifespan and use of the product.
Still a bit legally vague though?

This makes it sound likes it depends on whether the original owner is alive or not. If you bought a Cannondale from new, It might be worth not selling it to avoid the Cannondale hit squad coming round to "void" the warranty for the new owner.

Exactly! I sold a Synapse bought from new and luckily survived several botched assassination attempts :laugh:

Sallar55

Veteran
Synapse hi mod here, noticed a line in the paintwork on the seat tube. Was annoying me but no creaking noise, even put some sellotape over it and marked both ends of line. Line never opened up after a month. Was in the LBS and had them look, said its probably a paint flaw but it could be worse. They sent it away and 2 months later a new frame arrived. Pleased as it was all black v the black and matt white I had. Can't fault Cannondale warrenty.

Fatigue isn't normally covered under the manufacturer's own warranty terms but your statutory rights would indicate that a bicycle should last a reasonable time before fatigued and cracked etc. I'm above the weight limits of some bike brands like Decathlon so my warranty would be void just rolling the bike outside the shop although I suppose I could get them on the fact they sold it to me. I wouldn't have that defence by mail order but then they often don't make it clear what the weight limits are so maybe I would.

Planet X I think are pretty tight at 2 years I think plus from what I've read they seem to hate every customer who has a problem with anything. Still some good pricing there so often worth the risk as long as you pay by credit card.

Giant can be very generous with warranty but I think this varies by country. There is a youtube channel called wheelers at large and Mike is quite obese and rides all the time but still got a replacement frame out of Giant but I can't remember if the failure was at the weld or a cracked fatigued tube.

Top Bottom