The Worst Frame Warranty Ever ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back in the steel era, Raleigh used to guarantee their frames for 15 years, even the lowest spec gas pipe ones.

The lowest spec straight gauge gas pipe bike frames would be the frames that last a very, very long time. My very first bike I bought myself was a Raleigh Royal Export from the cycle shop I worked next door to. I was going to buy the higher cost Royal model with a lightweight frame but they advised me that because of my 15-16 stone weight I should get the cheaper Royal with gas pipe tubes and a higher spoke count on the wheels which I did. I think the normal Royal was £190 and the cheaper Export model was £120 and also included dynamo lighting and to be honest had a better colour scheme. I still managed to knock one wheel out of true riding it on the first day which they reluctantly sorted for me.

Butted tubes on lightweight frames are always more vulnerable to failure, the thin sections will be the first to fatigue and the corrosion will have a greater safety impact on the very thin sections over the years.

Velochris

Über Member
Currently claiming with Cervelo for my five year old carbon C3. They offer a "lifetime guarantee" but also state nothing lasts forever.

Removed the cable guide under the bottom bracket to help thread a cable. Noticed a layer of the carbon had become delaminated. Would not have thought anything of it until a couple of years ago when I started watching a few well known people online who explain/criticise bike manufacturing and manufacturers.

Photo sent to Cervelo. It did take them a couple of months but they agreed to replace without any need to argue etc. The C3 is no longer made, so they are giving me a newer model Caledonia.

Will have to wait a few weeks for it to be shipped etc but cannot complain so far, but still will only be satisfied once it has actually arrived.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to get into titanium frames, then!

They break at the welds. :whistle:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wonder if their warranty covers slipped-discs when you pick them up?

You get a free gym workout thrown in every time you pick up the bike and all you do is complain about it! :laugh:

I think most Apollos are ridden 10-20 miles then left to rust in a shed, or dumped in a canal.

Judging by the number of old fully rigid, Apollo MTB's I see still around and in use, I suspect that is somewhat of an exaggeration. My own one has done thousands of miles since I rescued it and it was clearly well-used already.
It's probably true to say cheapo quality full-sus bikes in general don't tend to have a very long service life though.

You get a free gym workout thrown in every time you pick up the bike and all you do is complain about it! :laugh:

Judging by the number of old fully rigid, Apollo MTB's I see still around and in use, I suspect that is somewhat of an exaggeration. My own one has done thousands of miles since I rescued it and it was clearly well-used already.
It's probably true to say cheapo quality full-sus bikes in general don't tend to have a very long service life though.

I think the Indi brand may have trumped Apollo to be honest, feast your eyes on this 18kg beauty! They appear to have missed an 'F' off the bikes name though?
Screenshot_20220520-151444_Samsung Internet.jpg

Top Bottom