The Worst Frame Warranty Ever ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I don't read it like that - although if you replaced an inner tube badly which in some way resulted in a crash that damaged the frame then that would not be unreasonable

If you replace an inner tube you’ve modified the components. Unless there’s small print explaining what is valid to replace and still have the warranty. Then replacing a tube would void it as worded. As would replacing a derailleur etc.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I don't see that stated or implied. In fact the warranty looks reasonable to me.

It’s stated / implied by modifying frame fork or components. They need to be clear exactly what they mean by that, in the warranty wording. It should not be open to interpretation as it clearly is here. It’s almost designed to be a lawyers wet dream.

Seevio

Guru
Synapse hi mod here, noticed a line in the paintwork on the seat tube. Was annoying me but no creaking noise, even put some sellotape over it and marked both ends of line. Line never opened up after a month. Was in the LBS and had them look, said its probably a paint flaw but it could be worse. They sent it away and 2 months later a new frame arrived. Pleased as it was all black v the black and matt white I had. Can't fault Cannondale warrenty.

Not if you want to see the kids again...

gbb

Legendary Member
No doubt theres better warantees out there but you pays yer money....
My Via Nirone 7 frame broke, it was replaced under warantee but you could argue it broke because i was forever out the saddle on hills, attacking, putting a lot of force down.. You could equally argue the frame should be able to withstand that but was my riding style 'normal', i really used to attack hills. Make a frame heavier, stronger, the cost has to go up.
Its all a trade off
I suspect 99.9 % of people never need to claim against a warantee anyway...

Alex321

Veteran
If you replace an inner tube you’ve modified the components. Unless there’s small print explaining what is valid to replace and still have the warranty. Then replacing a tube would void it as worded. As would replacing a derailleur etc.

As I said before, "modified" and "replaced" are different words, with different meanings.

And if you read the whole page, not just the paragraph quoted, it is clear that installing parts or components "compatible with the frame or bicycle" is not excluded.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
No doubt theres better warantees out there but you pays yer money....
My Via Nirone 7 frame broke, it was replaced under warantee but you could argue it broke because i was forever out the saddle on hills, attacking, putting a lot of force down.. You could equally argue the frame should be able to withstand that but was my riding style 'normal', i really used to attack hills. Make a frame heavier, stronger, the cost has to go up.
Its all a trade off
I suspect 99.9 % of people never need to claim against a warantee anyway...

Really -??? I did and got feckin no where. They fobbed me off .With hindsight I should have fought hardier earlier - but I just wanted to ride my bike .

Lesson learned.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Specialized are brilliant for warranty. I had done 40,000 miles on a Tricross when the frame cracked.

They replaced it with a Diverge, which I managed to crack within 3 months of good abuse; they gave me another Diverge which also cracked. (I think they had a problem with this particular model as I wasn't the only person at my LBS that had issues with this model.) so they ended up giving me a different Diverge model which I still have.

They got me as a customer for life after the way they looked after me. If they had told me that as far as they were concerned I had got fair use out of the original Tricross I would have accepted it and bought a new bike, I seriously abused that bike ^_^

They also only give the lifetime warranty to the original owner. They have also since changed and you only get initially a two year warranty (I think) and you have to register with them within so many days to get the lifetime warranty.

presta

Guru
Never needed a warranty on a frame

Dawes replaced my frame under warranty a fortnight after I bought it. The bottom bracket cartridge had never been tightened properly, so it worked loose after 150 miles, and wrote off the threads.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Dawes replaced my frame under warranty a fortnight after I bought it. The bottom bracket cartridge had never been tightened properly, so it worked loose after 150 miles, and wrote off the threads.

There you go.
You wouldn't get that with Moda.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
To me the warranty isn't the only issue.

But what does it say about the bike ? - they almost seem like they are expecting a lot of failures and are pre emptively warning you against putting a claim in.

Top Bottom