TheDoctor has a new carbon bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
rich p said:
That's a tiny chain ring Doc. You'll notice a difference in low gearing if you change to a compact won't you?
Before or after Ventoux?
I'm doing MV in June so I'll be interested in your experiences.

After. Dear oh lord, definitely after. I need my teeny weeny granny ring in mountains.

It might be a bit after, as it goes. I may be driving a couple of mates down to do the Marmotte (one of them the guy who gave me the Ultegra, so he's got a favour coming) and then I can try Alpe D'Huez.:?:

Hmm. I could get an MTB cassette on there. Is a 19" gear a little excessive? No more so than 25", I suppose...

I'm doing MV from Sault in all probability. I'll post afterwards, assuming I'm in any condition to!;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TheDoctor said:
After. Dear oh lord, definitely after. I need my teeny weeny granny ring in mountains.

It might be a bit after, as it goes. I may be driving a couple of mates down to do the Marmotte (one of them the guy who gave me the Ultegra, so he's got a favour coming) and then I can try Alpe D'Huez.:angry:

Hmm. I could get an MTB cassette on there. Is a 19" gear a little excessive? No more so than 25", I suppose...

I'm doing MV from Sault in all probability. I'll post afterwards, assuming I'm in any condition to!:angry:

Can you do it from Bedoin please , it'll be more relevant!:sad:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
rich p said:
Can you do it from Bedoin please , it'll be more relevant!:angry:

Shall I leave a stash of powerbars for you, about halfway up?:angry:

Depends on how I feel on the day. It's very tempting to nip along to Bedoin and do that climb. We're staying in Sault, but Bedoin's not so far away, is it?
*considers doing MV twice in the day. Googles 'Buy EPO'*

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Llanberris Pass is awesome - get up it - 42 x 21 last time I was up it ! Also did 60 mph coming into Betsw-y-coed after that, then back round to Llanberris - awesome ride with the club.......

Plax

Guru
fossyant said:
Llanberris Pass is awesome - get up it - 42 x 21 last time I was up it ! Also did 60 mph coming into Betsw-y-coed after that, then back round to Llanberris - awesome ride with the club.......

Hey fossy, take it that's good then. Don't understand the 42 x 21 bit, what gear is that then? Well done anyway!:blush:

Right then boyos (TheDoctor & Crackle that is, they call you boyo round here regardless of your gender. You don't want to know what the term of endearment over in Caernarfon is!). I have a plan or two the next time your down this way.
a) We bomb up the Llanberis Pass and then can turn left and try and beat fossy's 60mph into Betws Y Coed and then come back (approx 32 mile round trip),
:blush: Breeze up Llanberis Pass and turn right to Beddgelert and back (approx 26 miles)
c) Fly up Llanberis Pass and turn right to Beddgelert, then rather than turn back, go through Beddgelert heading towards Betws Garmon & Waenfawr, cutting through Ceunant into Llanrug and back into Llanberis. According to Goolgle maps that's about a 30 miler too.
d) Something else

Should test out TheDoctor's new bike!

Did Fossy mean Betws-y-Coed, there be not that many 60mph hills that way. Did you mean Beddgelert Fossy?

Anyway, can I prefer C) as most of my routes up here are there and back ones, it's the nature of the roads. C) can also be extended to go through Bethesda and Capel Curig and so make a figure of eight 60 miler - should we so desire. Many cafe stops might be needed.

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Did Fossy mean Betws-y-Coed, there be not that many 60mph hills that way. Did you mean Beddgelert Fossy?

Anyway, can I prefer C) as most of my routes up here are there and back ones, it's the nature of the roads. C) can also be extended to go through Bethesda and Capel Curig and so make a figure of eight 60 miler - should we so desire. Many cafe stops might be needed.

Oh goody, I was quite hoping for c) myself!

I think maybe fossy meant Beddgelert actually thinking about it, as no big hills spring to mind now that you mention it when I visually drive to B-Y-C. About a year or so ago when my dearly beloved and I drove into Beddgelert from the Llanberis Pass end I remember a cyclist whizzing down at speed (bf just kept behind him as he was going 50+). Maybe it was fossy:biggrin:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:
Oh goody, I was quite hoping for c) myself!

I think maybe fossy meant Beddgelert actually thinking about it, as no big hills spring to mind now that you mention it when I visually drive to B-Y-C. About a year or so ago when my dearly beloved and I drove into Beddgelert from the Llanberis Pass end I remember a cyclist whizzing down at speed (bf just kept behind him as he was going 50+). Maybe it was fossy:biggrin:

Plax, that sounds good to me. And I'd be happy to let you (or anyone else, for that matter) have a go on the carbon goodness. If you'll fit it, that is. I'm about 5'7", so as long as you're not hugely different to that we should be OK.:biggrin:
BTW, noticed the gender thing. I'm a bloke, or I was the last time I looked.

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Plax, that sounds good to me. And I'd be happy to let you (or anyone else, for that matter) have a go on the carbon goodness. If you'll fit it, that is. I'm about 5'7", so as long as you're not hugely different to that we should be OK.:biggrin:
BTW, noticed the gender thing. I'm a bloke, or I was the last time I looked. There's a (soppy) photo of me in the distant past of the Tea? thread if you go looking. I'll edit in a mo to add a link...:ohmy:

And here we go : Me looking very soppy...

Well isn't that a stroke of luck, as I'm also 5 ft 7! You'd better hope I don't take a shine to it :biggrin:.
Well I will look through the tea thread in greater depth when I get home (I'm skiving at work at the mo and they disable embedded pics and stuff). I have seen you looking terrified on a recumbant in your Iron Bru T-Shirt in a previous thread though - is this picture an improvement? :biggrin:

Whoa! That's really weird 'cause I'm 5ft 7" too.

You distract him Plax and I'll get the bike: Don't worry I'll share it :ohmy:

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Whoa! That's really weird 'cause I'm 5ft 7" too.

You distract him Plax and I'll get the bike: Don't worry I'll share it :biggrin:

Sssssh! TheDoctor might overhear our evil plans!:ohmy:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No worries, I'm currently distracted by another thread where Waffles and Arch are rending their clothes.:biggrin: Or rending each others...:tongue:

Excuse me, I think I need to be alone...:biggrin:

Top Bottom