Theft deterent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I was storing a bike in my garage so I undid the quill to allow me to fold the handlebars flat against the wall. I then realized that this would also be a good deterent against theft.

A potential thief wouldn't be able to ride it away unless they had the correct sized Allen key on them. It would also be difficult to wheel away with the forks flopping around.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
pmsl :smile:
My version is to addd mudgaurds and a pannier rack, to uncool to pinch :smile:
read somewhere about taping razorblades to the handlebars although i think that sgoing a bit far....a flamethrower in the seat tube linked to the pedals you must switch off:hyper:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I used to think that a good deterrant would be to disconnect the brakes each time - till I worked out the person most likely to be caught out would be me:laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We had a run of bike theft a few years agoat work where they were walking into the car park to get around the barriers then cropping the locks , riding out of the car park to a van down the road.
Even though we have cctv the "security " did nothing as they are not allowed..heck they did not even stop people nicking cars a while back that were subsequently used in robberies a few days later.

They'd just throw the bike in the back of their van and drive off with it.

A good deterent would be to chop their thieving bastard hands off.

There are places where such remedies are on the statute books.

I'd rather live here, but to each their own.

As for removing hands for poor spelling.... :rolleyes:

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Slightly off topic, but years ago, when we rented a house where the electric meter was in an outside cupboard (yeah really!) and there had been a spate of thefts in the street, Mr Grip put a great big piece of timber in a position that would clobber anyone daring to invade that space.
Some days later while feeding the baby during the night the power went.......
yep, you guessed it, 'lumpy', as he was known for some days after, forgot to remove said piece of wood. Anyway, there is a moral there somewhere if you intend to booby trap your bike.

Top Bottom