Theft not covered by insurance?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Some people on here do not know what leg pulling.

The way to avoid the original problem to begin with is to have away from home insurance but read the policy thoroughly before you sign it. Our bikes come in with my home insurance and every time we make change the insurance company sends us the new policies so we have a few days to look over them. We often have to ring them to clarify points and they are always very clear and up front about things. If you have an insurance company who are a bit vague about their policies, I would change your insurers. We always feel that our insurers are trying to help us out and make things easy for us. But without putting our premiums through the roof. All our bikes are adequately covered if they were ever stolen. Even if we are abroad. That is another thing to look at. If you take your bike abroad on holiday, make sure it is covered.

By the way. I have never made an insurance claim of any type. ;)

Steve

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just changed house contents insurance and specified our bikes each one individually that has a value over £300. I don't think it had much of a difference on the final bill. Mind you I also said that our excess was the maximum - £500 - so it would need to be more than one of them stolen (of the cheaper ones) for them actually to pay out. The policy documents only arrived a day or so ago, so I need to read them, but I think they are covered out and about.

We have only claimed once on the contents and that was for a burglary in 1992.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This is where I think 'Do we need contents insurence ?'

Maybe just house insurance is a better option saving money in the long term?
Add up the value of you're house contents and the amount you get will make your jaw drop. My CD rack alone would hurt my pocket badly if I had to replace everything, and I'm not a great buyer of music.

Remember contents are not just a risk from theft, but fire and other disasters too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This is where I think 'Do we need contents insurence ?'

Maybe just house insurance is a better option saving money in the long term?

Well I see that point but it's more there to cover the absolute disaster rather than break down cover which I think some people use it as. Luckily the quote is less than the price of a bike so that means it is worth while. (I prefer not to think how much I've paid over the years).

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Well all insurance is a waste of money until you need it!

Yeah but 'Contents' are silly things like CD players, bikes, maybe not bikes ? Unless you have the crown jewels in some display cabinate ?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
House / buildings insurance is essential for home owners that being your house is worth £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Furniture, carpets, curtains, Audio & TV equipment, white goods, computers etc etc. Add up the replacement cost in just one room and you'll be amazed at what the total comes to.

Who loses all the above in one go ?

Chances of that are 000000.0000000000.1%

Its happens yes / floods / hurricanes / natural disasters though you have to weigh it up

I came to the conclusion years back that contents insurance just don't work for me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My view on insurance is as follows;

If a loss would be an inconvenience, a mobile phone or a bike for example, I don't bother. Replacing either would be a pain, but it would cost more in premiums over the years than I would get back.

If it would be a catastrophy, such as losing my home or it's contents which would bankrupt me, then I insure because however small the risk I can't afford to take it.

Top Bottom